History

Collection by Ben Obrien

18 
Pins
Vintage PhotosSurry Hills

Depression "bread wars", corner store on Bourke & Fitzroy Streets, Surry Hills, Sydney, 21 August 1934 / Sam Hood

Note: The shop still stands, worn step included, but the area has gentrified since its slum days Format: Negative From the collections of the Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au Information about photographic collections of the State Library of New South Wales: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx Persistent url: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemDetailPaged.aspx?itemID=52316

1875 - Market St, Sydney. There doesn't seem to be any straight or parrallel lines in the buildings
Old PicturesBotany BayOld Street

1875 - Market St, Sydney. There doesn't seem to be any straight or parrallel lines in the buildings

Newtown, cnr Australia Street & Fowler Streets, 1930s. City of Sydney Archives
As Time Goes By

Grocer shop at 425-427 Elizabeth Street, Sydney ... 4 November 1927

Grocer shop at 425-427 Elizabeth Street, Sydney ... 4 November 1927

Corner of Cumberland and Little Essex Streets, The Rocks,Sydney in 1900 (showing rear of Flagstaff Hotel).
Sydney VilleThe Rocks SydneyNew York BuildingsCity StreetsAussies

Corner of Cumberland and Little Essex Streets, The Rocks,Sydney in 1900 (showing rear of Flagstaff Hotel).

Looking east up Hunter St, Sydney from the corner of Pitt and O'Connell Streets in 1870 State Library of NSW.
View ImageEast CoastStreet View

Looking east up Hunter St, Sydney from the corner of Pitt and O'Connell Streets in 1870 State Library of NSW.

Rag and Famish Hotel at the corner of Miller and Berry Streets,North Sydney in 1860.
MelbourneOld PubHistorical ImagesNorth ShoreVintage Photos

Rag and Famish Hotel at the corner of Miller and Berry Streets,North Sydney in 1860.

'Surry Hills' - RAHS/Osborne Collection

'Surry Hills' - RAHS/Osborne Collection

Gowings building, George St, Sydney. What a loss this place had wonderful things!
Old PicturesThe 'burbsCitiesHistorical ArchitectureBlue Mountain

Official Website

Bent St,Sydney in 1929.
Wall StreetStreet View

Bent St,Sydney in 1929.

Store of grocer J. E. Ismay at 573 King St,Newtown in the inner west of Sydney in 1900,near the corner of Lord Street.It was later demolished for the widening of the railway line in 1927. •State Records of NSW• 🌹

Store of grocer J. E. Ismay at 573 King St,Newtown in the inner west of Sydney in 1900,near the corner of Lord Street.It was later demolished for the widening of the railway line in 1927. •State Records of NSW• 🌹

Wharfies awaiting the "pick up" outside 31 Sussex Street at the corner of Taylors Lane, Sydney 1907

Glass negatives [Maritime Services Board]

These glass negatives record the construction of wharves and adjoining facilities in Sydney Harbour; ferry wharves and passenger amenities; views of Port Jackson; different types of ships and vessels; diagrams of technical systems; shipping movements; navigational aids such as buoys and beacons; rail work, tenements; roadways, housing and buildings in the harbour area including warehouses and boatsheds; road construction; reclamation works; equipment; damaged vessels (including on slipways)…

Corner store 1950s. Sydney, Australia by rangertocpt, via Flickr
Old BuildingsThe Good Old DaysMelbourne

Corner store 1950s. Sydney, Australia - a photo on Flickriver

Flickriver - view images as a 'river of photos' and more...

Emu Inn on the corner of Regent and Outram Streets, Chippindale in inner Sydney in 1910.

The Sydney Inn of Long Ago: When Quaint Signs Creaked Over the Doorways

Emu Inn on the corner of Regent and Outram Streets, Chippindale in inner Sydney in 1910.

The corner of Carrington and Margaret Streets in Wynyard,Sydney in the 1920s.
The TwentiesWall Street1920sAustralia

The corner of Carrington and Margaret Streets in Wynyard,Sydney in the 1920s.

Redfern St,Redfern,in inner Sydney at the corner of Renwick St in 1909. •City of Sydney Archives•
As Time Goes ByThe Good Old DaysWorld History

Redfern St,Redfern,in inner Sydney at the corner of Renwick St in 1909. •City of Sydney Archives•