Moreton Bay and the jetty, as seen from Cleveland Point, 1940
Creator: Unidentified Location: Cleveland, Queensland View this image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/131184 Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: pictureqld.slq.qld.gov.au/
Supreme Court, Ann Street, Brisbane, 1880 - Supreme Court building in the 1870's was one originally occupied by the old convict hospital and surgeon's quarters on North Quay. The original Supreme Court lasted a little under a century as in the 1960's it was decided to demolish this architecturally significant building and to replace it with modern multi story erections. This decision was hastened by a fire lit by an arsonist in 1968, making it an easy decision to demolish what remained.
Brisbane St, Bulimba, Brisbane, 1890 - Originally Bulimba was a flat swampy peninsula extending into the Hamilton and Bulimba reaches of the Brisbane River. In 1849 David McConnel bought 173 acres at Bulimba, built his home in 1950 (Bulimba House) and grew cotton, wheat, barley and yams on the property. Wharves were built on both sides of the river and a ferry/coachman was employed to transport goods to town. Donald Coutts later bought Bulimba House and in 1864 auctioned off much of the…
Houses of Paddington, Brisbane, ca. 1902. View of the houses of Paddington from Red Hill, looking towards the intersection of Given and Latrobe Terraces. The hilly terrain of the area is featured in this image.