Bungarribee House, Doonside, NSW Australia was built on sacred Aboriginal land by Major John Campbell in 1824. The homestead was built by convicts, many of whom died during the construction. As the house was nearing completion in 1826, Campbell’s wife died and a year later so did Campbell. Following Campbell’s death, the house was auctioned and was bought by Thomas Icely. The property was used as a horse stud. Iceley's wife claimed there was an evil prescence in the house and refused to…
Old Government House is the oldest remaining public building in Australia. Every Governor from Phillip to Fitzroy spent some time in residence at Parramatta with Governor Brisbane making this his permanent home in the colony.
The Doctors House, Windsor, NSW. So called because doctors have occupied parts of it since 1876. The site was originally occupied by an inn called The Lord Nelson which was built in 1819. The present building was constructed in 1844 and is one of the finest examples of a colonial terrace building in Australia.
Neath Castle was one of the minor Norman castles in the lordship of Glamorgan. Like the Romans before them, the Normans chose this strategic spot guarding the river crossing for a stronghold. The main surviving feature of the castle is the great twin-towered gatehouse on its west side.
When Ebenezer Church was built in 1809 one half of the building was used as a schoolroom. Classes commenced for local children in 1810, and continued until 1874 when the school moved to state control. It was known as Portland Head Provisional School, but classes were still held in the church until the new school, Ebenezer Public School, was built in Coromandel Road in 1887. Ebenezer Church is recognised as the oldest existing school building in Australia.
Welcome to the Web Site of the Springwood Historical Society, established in We invite you to find out about our district and our activities - share our interest in and commitment to our local history.