Adelong Falls Gold Mining Ruins at Adelong CreekThis mill processed ore from Adelong and the wider district until 1914. Records show that the Reefer Mill sent 5,000 kg of gold to the Sydney Mint, while an estimated total of 25,000 kg was extracted in the Adelong area.g Ruins at Adelong Creeks at Adelong Creek
Beaufort House Heritage Hotel History “There’s gold in them there hills”. A favourite cry in the town of Adelong back in the 1850′s during the Gold Rush days. Adelong has travelled history without losing its “pioneer charm”, with Beaufort House playing a significant role in the analogue of the town’s yesteryears.
The original Commercial Hotel established first licensed hotel in Adelong
Ruins at Adelong CreekThe Adelong gold story began in 1852 with the discovery of alluvial gold along Adelong Creek by a touring party en route to Victoria.The Adelong Goldfield was proclaimed on 15 February when miners were recorded working the area.
Adelong Falls Gold Mining RuinReef ore demanded heavy ore-crushing machinery, with several large and small mills set up along the creek to crush the hard pyritic ore. The remains of the Reefer, the most efficient ore crushing mill, are impressive today.
The Commercial Hotel was left in tack, though the owners of the time took up the opportunity then to rebuild the Commercial Hotel, bigger and better, in 1926 as the existing 2-storey structure. In later years it then became the “Gold Reef Hotel” which continued trading as a pub and hotel until the sale of its’ license in 1978.
Adelong Falls Gold MininIn May 1857 William Williams, a significant figure in the history of Adelong and wider district, discovered reef ore. His new find of gold-rich quartz veins attracted a bigger rush of men of many nationalities.