Chrysler Australia Ltd was established in June 1951 when the Chrysler Corporation acquired Chrysler Dodge Distributors (Holdings) Pty Ltd, a company which had been formed in 1935 by 18 independent distributors. During the 1950s and 1960s, Chrysler made a substantial investment in Australian manufacturing facilities, including opening a new assembly plant at Clovelly Park in 1964 and an engine foundry at Lonsdale in 1968.
Chrysler VF Valiant Pacer - In mid 1969, Chrysler released a fast four-door named Valiant Pacer. The Pacer featured a high-performance six-cylinder engine and three-speed manual gearbox with floor shifter. The VF Pacer stood out with its red and black grille, simulated-mag wheel hub caps, special body striping, 'Pacer 225' decals, and choice of "Wild Blue", "Wild Red", or "Wild Yellow" exterior colours. Although lacking the V8 of its rivals, the Pacer could reach almost 180 km/h (112 mph).