Mansions, Homesteads and Significant Villas of Victoria

Collection by Elizabeth Alger • Last updated 11 weeks ago

787 
Pins
 • 
564 
Followers

Mansions, homesteads & significant villas: Colonial, Victorian, Edwardian. I'd cover all Australia, but there are 100s in Victoria alone - so I'll start there...

Elizabeth Alger
Central Victoria
Gippsland
Melbourne and Suburbs
Northern Victoria
Western District
Geelong District
Mallee
Mornington Peninsula and Westernport
Wimmera

Central Victoria

Coombe Cottage, Coldstream, became the home of famous opera singer Dame Nellie Melba after her snap decision to buy it (it was then a dairy farm) during a concert tour in 1909. Walter Butler designed the gatehouse for her, William Guilfoyle and Edna Walling were garden consultants, Hans Heysen frequently painted here, Arthur Streeton was a regular guest. Even the sprawling house was extended to designs by Percy Grainger's father. It remains largely unaltered since Melba's death in 1931. Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Herbaceous Border, Yarra Valley, Gate House, Opera Singers, Old Building, Homesteads, Hedges
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaHomesteads

Coombe Cottage, Coldstream, became the home of famous opera singer Dame Nellie Melba after her snap decision to buy it (it was then a dairy farm) during a concert tour in 1909. Walter Butler designed the gatehouse for her, William Guilfoyle and Edna Walling were garden consultants, Hans Heysen frequently painted here, Arthur Streeton was a regular guest. Even the sprawling house was extended to designs by Percy Grainger's father. It remains largely unaltered since Melba's death in 1931.

Pergola Attached To House Pergola Attached To House, Deck With Pergola, Outdoor Pergola, Pergola Shade, Diy Pergola, Pergola Kits, Pergola Ideas, Iron Pergola, Pergolas For Sale
Diy PergolaPergola KitsPergola Ideas

Coombe Cottage, Coldstream, is the one time residence of world-renowned opera singer, Dame Nellie Melba. It is set on a gently undulating site in open paddocks and surrounded by a tall, dense and immaculately clipped cypress hedge. The main entry is marked by a pair of finely wrought gates and a two-storey gate lodge designed by Walter Butler. A curving driveway leads to the main residence, a sprawling, single-storey dwelling constructed of rendered masonry with a slate roof. Melba purchased…

Emly Park, Ballan is a renowned property with a heritage stretching back to the beginnings of white settlement in the district. Irish pioneer John L Von Steiglitz arrived in Ballan in 1838 and David Vere Stead took up the Emly Park run soon after. David Stead, born in 1797, was a Quaker from Falmouth, who had arrived in the Port Phillip district in 1835. He took up a run near Geelong, but in 1838 Stead, John Cowie and two of the von Steiglitz brothers headed north west with their stock… Australian Country Houses, House With Land, Australia House, British Colonial Style, Dream House Plans, Stone Houses, Facade House, Farmhouse Chic, House Goals
Australian Country HousesHouse With LandAustralia HouseDream House Plans

Emly Park, Ballan is a renowned property with a heritage stretching back to the beginnings of white settlement in the district. Irish pioneer John L Von Steiglitz arrived in Ballan in 1838 and David Vere Stead took up the Emly Park run soon after. David Stead, born in 1797, was a Quaker from Falmouth, who had arrived in the Port Phillip district in 1835. He took up a run near Geelong, but in 1838 Stead, John Cowie and two of the von Steiglitz brothers headed north west with their stock…

Elderslie, New Gisborne, is an early surviving and substantial brick house, important both architecturally and for its intactness. The Colonial style building is exemplary for its era and distinguished by its unusual rows of gables and their detailing. The degree of intactness of this building is unusual. Elderslie is believed to have been built for Thomas Ferrier Hamilton in the early 1850s, with additions made in c1900. The dwelling is single-storeyed and characterised by its encircling… Australian Houses, Australian Architecture, Historic Houses, Victoria Australia, Country Estate, Melbourne Australia, Georgian, Family History, French Doors

Elderslie, New Gisborne, is an early surviving and substantial brick house, important both architecturally and for its intactness. The Colonial style building is exemplary for its era and distinguished by its unusual rows of gables and their detailing. The degree of intactness of this building is unusual. Elderslie is believed to have been built for Thomas Ferrier Hamilton in the early 1850s, with additions made in c1900. The dwelling is single-storeyed and characterised by its encircling…

Darriwill Estate, Sutherlands Creek, was acquired by the brothers, Robert, James and George Hope, in 1845. It was largely developed by Dr Robert Hope, an eminent Scottish surgeon, pastoralist, politician and flour milling entrepreneur. He was one of the first viticulturists in the Western District and Darriwill was a celebrated vineyard. The axially-planned, single-storey bluestone homestead of 14 principle rooms was built for George Hope in the mid 1850s. Enhanced with pronounced stone… Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Id Cover, Hay Loft, Doctor Robert, Coach House, Garden Features, Old Barns, Historic Homes

Darriwill Estate, Sutherlands Creek, was acquired by the brothers, Robert, James and George Hope, in 1845. It was largely developed by Dr Robert Hope, an eminent Scottish surgeon, pastoralist, politician and flour milling entrepreneur. He was one of the first viticulturists in the Western District and Darriwill was a celebrated vineyard. The axially-planned, single-storey bluestone homestead of 14 principle rooms was built for George Hope in the mid 1850s. Enhanced with pronounced stone…

Darra, in Meredith, was originally known as Durdiwarrah pastoral station and licensed with acres to Charles Augustus Von Steiglitz in Von Steiglitz, after whom the gold mining township is named, had arrived in Port Phillip in he was a m James Watson, Australian Houses, Front Verandah, House Essentials, Port Arthur, Historic Houses, Victoria Australia, Country Estate, Maine House
Australian HousesHouse EssentialsVictoria AustraliaCountry EstateMaine House

Darra, in Meredith, was originally known as Durdiwarrah pastoral station and licensed with 24,000 acres to Charles Augustus Von Steiglitz in 1842. Von Steiglitz, after whom the gold mining township is named, had arrived in Port Phillip in 1839; he was a member of a prominent pastoralist family in Tasmania. He built the homestead but sold the run in 1853 and in 1854 it was advertised as the Eclipse Hotel. W.T.N. Champ acquired the run in 1864. Formerly first Premier of Tasmania and commandant…

Six Little Hearts: The Melbourne Series - High Tea at Chateau Yering.

The Melbourne Series #4 - High Tea at Chateau Yering...

Drive a short hour and a little more from the heart of Melbourne in an Easterly direction and you will find yourself happily placed in the picturesque Yarra Valley. This region is just on the edge of the urban sprawl where the last smattering of homes dotted at its fringes meet with the lush fields of Melbourne's daytripper playground. Here is the epicentre of our city's boutique farm and cottage industries; home to everything from berry growers and crafters, to fancy chocolatiers, renown…

Chateau Yering, Yarra Glen, Victoria. www.top-notch.com.au www.facebook.com/WeddingDJTopNotch

Chateau Yering, Yarra Glen, Victoria. www.top-notch.com.au www.facebook.com/WeddingDJTopNotch

the 28 best images about mansion homesteads of Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Country Estate, Country Farm, Breezeway, Victoria Australia, Haunted Places, Historic Homes, Old Houses

Campaspe Park, Goornong, is a large homestead sited on the bank of the Campaspe River. It was built in two phases, the first in the 1860s, the second in the 1890s. No architect has been identified for either phase. It was built for Thomas Robertson, son of James Robertson, a squatter who took up the Campaspe River run in 1847. When Thomas inherited the run, it amounted to about 48,000 acres. The house is constructed of stuccoed brick. The front faces the river, and with its buttressed porch…

Chateau Yering, Coldstream, was known originally as Yering Station. It was established in the late 1830s by prominent settlers William Ryrie and his brothers Donald and James. Paul de Castella purchased the property in 1850 and developed it as a successful vineyard. The 1860s homestead complex remains today beneath an overlay of alterations and additions. Now a prestigious hotel and restaurant, the Yering homestead is an unusually planned domestic dwelling which demonstrates a changing… Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Australian Architecture, Architecture Plan, Victorian Rooms, Weatherboard House, Australia House, Home Structure, Yarra Valley
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaAustralian ArchitectureVictorian RoomsAustralia House

Chateau Yering, Coldstream, was known originally as Yering Station. It was established in the late 1830s by prominent settlers William Ryrie and his brothers Donald and James. Paul de Castella purchased the property in 1850 and developed it as a successful vineyard. The 1860s homestead complex remains today beneath an overlay of alterations and additions. Now a prestigious hotel and restaurant, the Yering homestead is an unusually planned domestic dwelling which demonstrates a changing…

Adelaide Vale Homestead, Fosterville, was begun in 1853 by John Harvey and was later occupied by Edward and Andrew O'Keefe. It is an interesting homestead dating from early times and constructed of local stone. The building comprises a series of single st Id Cover, Breezeway, Homesteads, Corridor, Doorway, Villas, Facade, Buildings, Dating
BreezewayHomesteadsCorridorDoorwayVillas

Adelaide Vale Homestead, Fosterville, was begun in 1853 by John Harvey and was later occupied by Edward and Andrew O'Keefe. It is an interesting homestead dating from early times and constructed of local stone. The building comprises a series of single storey stone buildings arranged behind a simple verandah facade with a centrally located doorway flanked by windows. A central corridor leads from this doorway to a transverse corridor which was probably once an open breezeway. An unusual…

Gippsland

Famous as the site of a notorious, unsolved mystery, Tullaree, in Tarwin Lower, was built in the 1890s by Charles Widdis on a rise above swampland on the bank of the Tarwin River. The bricks were made on-site by Chinese workers brought in by Widdis. He drained the land, turning the 980 hectares into rich pasture. The property was sold in 1907 to the wealthy sisters, Margaret and Jeanie Clement, who prospered there until WW1, after which began their terrible decline from riches to rags. Id Cover, Homesteads, Rise Above, Bricks, Villas, Turning, Literature, Mystery, Brother
HomesteadsVillas

Famous as the site of a notorious, unsolved mystery, Tullaree, in Tarwin Lower, was built in the 1890s by Charles Widdis on a rise above swampland on the bank of the Tarwin River. The bricks were made on-site by Chinese workers brought in by Widdis. He drained the land, turning the 980 hectares into rich pasture. The property was sold in 1907 to the wealthy sisters, Margaret and Jeanie Clement, who prospered there until WW1, after which began their terrible decline from riches to rags.

Kilmany Park, near Sale (215km east of Melbourne), Victoria. The property was settled in 1841 by William Pearson, pastoralist, politician and mining entrepreneur, and is one of the oldest in eastern Victoria. His son, William Pearson Junior, between 1901-1906, erected the substantial, solid brick, cement rendered two storey mansion incorporating the original homestead. Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Cement Render, Id Cover, Victorian Rooms, Solid Brick, Historic Homes, Old Houses, Homesteading
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaCement RenderVictorian Rooms

Kilmany Park, near Sale (215km east of Melbourne), Victoria. The property was settled in 1841 by William Pearson, pastoralist, politician and mining entrepreneur, and is one of the oldest in eastern Victoria. His son, William Pearson Junior, between 1901-1906, erected the substantial, solid brick, cement rendered two storey mansion incorporating the original homestead.

Kilmany Park, near Sale;

Kilmany Park, near Sale; drawing room window.

Holey Plains Homestead at Rosedale in Gippsland is one of the region’s finest and oldest Homesteads. The Crooke family have lived in the homestead since 1880 when it was built using handmade bricks made at the property. Id Cover, Homesteads, Bricks, Villas, Colonial, Victoria, Australia, Mansions, House Styles
HomesteadsVillasVictoriaAustraliaMansions

Holey Plains Homestead at Rosedale in Gippsland is one of the region’s finest and oldest Homesteads. The Crooke family have lived in the homestead since 1880 when it was built using bricks handmade at the property.

 Built in 1880 Id Cover, Pisa, Homesteading, Colonial, Tower, Victorian, Australia, Mansions, Villas
PisaTowerVictorianAustraliaMansionsVillas

Holey Plains Homestead, Rosedale, Gippsland. Built in 1880

Duart Homestead, Maffra, was built in 1883 for the Hon Allan McLean, a local businessman who was to become Premier of Victoria in 1899 and in 1901 Gippsland's first Federal representative. The home was named after Duart Castle in Scotland, the seat of the clan McLean. It remained in the family until 1978, when it was renovated and converted into reception rooms. The top photo shows the huge and magnificent Moreton Bay Fig tree in the homestead grounds. Id Cover, Reception Rooms, Top Photo, Homesteading, Colonial, Scotland, Castle, Victoria, Australia
Top PhotoVictoriaAustralia

Duart Homestead, Maffra, was built in 1883 for the Hon Allan McLean, a local businessman who was to become Premier of Victoria in 1899 and in 1901 Gippsland's first Federal representative. The home was named after Duart Castle in Scotland, the seat of the clan McLean. It remained in the family until 1978, when it was renovated and converted into reception rooms. The top photo shows the huge and magnificent Moreton Bay Fig tree in the homestead grounds.

Cluanie Homestead, Leongatha South, was constructed in c.1894, and is believed to be one of the oldest homesteads in the Shire. It is one of a relatively small number of rural buildings that demonstrate the phase of settlement that occurred prior to the disastrous bushfires of 1898. "Cluanie" is sited on a hilltop at the end of a long driveway. It is a single storey weatherboard double fronted late Victorian villa. Unusually, it has the main entry to the side (north) with only French doors… Australian Houses, Australian Bush, Australian Architecture, Abandoned Farm Houses, Old Houses, Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Country Estate, Country Life

Cluanie Homestead, Leongatha South, was constructed in c.1894, and is believed to be one of the oldest homesteads in the Shire. It is one of a relatively small number of rural buildings that demonstrate the phase of settlement that occurred prior to the disastrous bushfires of 1898. "Cluanie" is sited on a hilltop at the end of a long driveway. It is a single storey weatherboard double fronted late Victorian villa. Unusually, it has the main entry to the side (north) with only French doors…

Bushy Park Homestead, a 19th century homestead originally located on the Avon River, Briagolong. It was constructed of pit­sawn red gums for Angus McMillan, Gippsland's most important explorer. By the 1856 census McMillan was recorded as the owner of 150,000 acres, upon which he ran the region's second-largest holding of sheep and third-largest of cattle. In the same year, "Bushy Park" itself was recorded as an eight-room home attached to a four-room cottage, adjacent to a stable, wool…

Bushy Park Homestead, a 19th century homestead originally located on the Avon River, Briagolong. It was constructed of pit­sawn red gums for Angus McMillan, Gippsland's most important explorer. By the 1856 census McMillan was recorded as the owner of 150,000 acres, upon which he ran the region's second-largest holding of sheep and third-largest of cattle. In the same year, "Bushy Park" itself was recorded as an eight-room home attached to a four-room cottage, adjacent to a stable, wool…

Braeside, Korumburra, was designed by Ballarat architect FW Turton and constructed for James Edwards, solicitor, in 1899. Perhaps the best example in South Gippsland Shire of a Transitional villa, it is a large single-storey weatherboard house with a flat topped hip roof surmounted by a hipped clerestory lantern, which lights a traverse internal hallway. It has an asymmetrical front with three windows, a large and elaborate recessed door-case with sidelights, and a wide bullnose verandah.

Braeside, Korumburra, was designed by Ballarat architect FW Turton and constructed for James Edwards, solicitor, in 1899. Perhaps the best example in South Gippsland Shire of a Transitional villa, it is a large single-storey weatherboard house with a flat topped hip roof surmounted by a hipped clerestory lantern, which lights a traverse internal hallway. It has an asymmetrical front with three windows, a large and elaborate recessed door-case with sidelights, and a wide bullnose verandah.

Melbourne and Suburbs

The side Elevation of "Ardoch" a Victorian Italianate Mansion - Essendon Id Cover, Melbourne Suburbs, Queenslander, Victorian Architecture, Australian Homes, Historic Homes, Old World, Homesteading, Mansions
Victorian ArchitectureAustralian HomesOld WorldMansions

The side Elevation of "Ardoch" a Victorian Italianate Mansion - Essendon

"Ardoch" is grand Victorian Italianate mansion located in the inner northern Melbourne suburb of Essendon. "Ardoch" is a splendid exmple of the fine domestic architecture available to those who were either wealthy by birth, or had made their money during the boom period of Victoria's Gold Rush, when Melbourne was the weathiest city in the world. Constructed of stuccoed brick, "Ardoch" is built in the popular Victorian Italianate style that was in vogue in the 1880s and 1890s. The six chimney…

Balmerino, Hawthorn East, was designed and built in the 1880s by renowned architect John Beswicke. Built on prestigious Harcourt Rd, it is a splendid Victorian Italianate house with a bayed front, a colonnaded balcony and a tower that offers grand city views. It is one of several Beswicke designed mansions on the road - the prime hill top location, the large blocks, and the genteel reputation Hawthorn had acquired, made it a highly desirable suburb for the wealthy. Australian Houses, High Ground, Nice Houses, Melbourne House, Historic Houses, Mansions Homes, Old Building, Homesteads, Villas

Balmerino, Hawthorn East, was designed and built in the 1880s by renowned architect John Beswicke. Built on prestigious Harcourt Rd, it is a splendid Victorian Italianate house with a bayed front, a colonnaded balcony and a tower that offers grand city views. It is one of several Beswicke designed mansions on the road - the prime hill top location, the large blocks, and the genteel reputation Hawthorn had acquired, made it a highly desirable suburb for the wealthy.

Astolat, Camberwell, was built in c.1884-86 for the Derham family, its name derived from Tennyson's 'Idylls of the King'. A typical large Italianate, late 19thC house, greatly enhanced by its exotic and ornamental landscape setting, the gardens feature mature trees, rare original outbuildings, & tennis court with 1880s pavilion. Astolat remains substantially intact - few remaining allotments of this size survive and even fewer with an intact ensemble of residence, outbuildings and garden… Cement Render, Id Cover, Monterey Cypress, Allotments, Slate Roof, Garden Features, Old Building, Homesteads, Pavilion

Astolat, Camberwell, was built in c.1884-86 for the Derham family, its name derived from Tennyson's 'Idylls of the King'. A typical large Italianate, late 19thC house, greatly enhanced by its exotic and ornamental landscape setting, the gardens feature mature trees, rare original outbuildings, & tennis court with 1880s pavilion. Astolat remains substantially intact - few remaining allotments of this size survive and even fewer with an intact ensemble of residence, outbuildings and garden…

Alverno, Hawthorn, is a Boom period mansion constructed in 1889 for the distinguished W. Its substantial block was part of the 1884 Grace Park subdivision. Built in polychrome brick work, it has a grand tower, pillared verandah and balcony arcad Id Cover, Grace Park, Civil Service, Old Building, Homesteads, Panel Doors, Secretary, Villas, Arcade
Grace ParkHomesteadsVillasArcade

Alverno, Hawthorn, is a Boom period mansion constructed in 1889 for the distinguished W.H. Archer, Registrar-General and Secretary for Lands. Built in polychrome brick work, it has a grand tower, pillared verandah and balcony arcades. Its handsome interiors include door panel paintings added in c.1910 by Alice McGinnis.

Avoncourt, Hawthorn, a major work from architects Crouch & Wilson, is representative of the mansions built in the newly subdivided garden suburb of Hawthorn in the 1870s as Melbourne's wealthier residents moved away from the inner-city. A spacious two storey building with wide verandahs, it sat amidst fine large gardens. The photos show the house pre-refurbishment and after its recent conversion into a Castle of Crass. It sold in 2009 for $20,250,000, and for about $21 million in 2014. Architectural Firm, Billiard Room, Man Room, Rooftop Terrace, Homesteads, Home Theater, Victorian Era, Dream Homes, Villas

Avoncourt, Hawthorn, a major work from architects Crouch & Wilson, is representative of the mansions built in the newly subdivided garden suburb of Hawthorn in the 1870s as Melbourne's wealthier residents moved away from the inner-city. A spacious two storey building with wide verandahs, it sat amidst fine large gardens. The photos show the house pre-refurbishment and after its recent conversion into a Castle of Crass. It sold in 2009 for $20,250,000, and for about $21 million in 2014.

Mosspennoch is an Italianate mansion designed by Charles Webb and built in 1881 (ballroom added 1890) for James Liddell Purves, QC, MLA, who lived there until 1903. After his departure, it was used as a boarding house, divided into flats, occupied by the Red Cross, adapted as medical suites and then for 20 years remained unoccupied, rundown and vandalised. It has now been restored and converted into six luxury apartments. Id Cover, Mansion Designs, Boarding House, House Divided, Homesteads, Red Cross, Luxury Apartments, 20 Years, Villas
Mansion DesignsHouse DividedHomesteadsRed CrossVillas

Mosspennoch, East Melbourne

Mosspennoch is an Italianate mansion designed by Charles Webb and built in 1881 (ballroom added 1890) for James Liddell Purves, QC, MLA, who lived there until 1903. After his departure, it was used as a boarding house, divided into flats, occupied by the Red Cross, adapted as medical suites and then for 20 years remained unoccupied, rundown and vandalised. It has now been restored and converted into six luxury apartments.

Barunah, Thornbury (also known as Tower House), is an impressive, intact example of a late nineteenth century two-storey mansion constructed in the Italianate style. It retains a rich array of features of the period such as the central tower flanked with Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Tower House, Melbourne Victoria, Grand Homes, Old Building, Gold Rush, Historical Pictures, Historic Homes
Australian ArchitectureAustralian HomesTower HouseMelbourne Victoria

Barunah, Thornbury (also known as Tower House), is an impressive, intact example of a late nineteenth century two-storey mansion constructed in the Italianate style. It retains a rich array of features of the period such as the central tower flanked with a two-level cast iron verandah, the encaustic tiled hall with twin flight staircase, and prolific external and internal details. Barunah is representative of the 1880s building boom in Melbourne that was fuelled by the gold rush.

Eulinya, Toorak, is a large house with an extensive garden; both designed by Walter Butler. A superb integration of house and garden, it epitomises an underlying theme of the Arts & Crafts movement where the design of the house is at one with its garden setting. Eulinya also represents a phase in the development of Toorak (domain of the wealthy and influential); in the post WWI period the large estates were broken up and a new type of urban mansion emerged, set in smaller but more… Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Id Cover, Large Houses, Homesteads, Art Deco Era, Slums, Arts And Crafts Movement, Hedges
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaHomesteadsArt Deco Era

Eulinya, Toorak, is a large house with an extensive garden; both designed by Walter Butler. A superb integration of house and garden, it epitomises an underlying theme of the Arts & Crafts movement where the design of the house is at one with its garden setting. Eulinya also represents a phase in the development of Toorak (domain of the wealthy and influential); in the post WWI period the large estates were broken up and a new type of urban mansion emerged, set in smaller but more…

Duncraig (also called Hampden Villa and Walter Butler House), Armadale, was built in c.1856 for the pharmacist Daniel Rutter Long and his family, who occupied it for 40 years. Rutter Long was one of Victoria's earliest and most successful pharmacists, and his wife Helen was a notable pioneer in her own right. The house was then transformed inside and out by the eminent society architect, Walter Butler, for his own residence between c.1897 to 1907. Butler House, Id Cover, Cute Cottage, External Doors, Old Building, Homesteads, Australian Art, British Colonial, Cottage Homes
Cute CottageHomesteadsAustralian ArtBritish Colonial

Duncraig (also called Hampden Villa and Walter Butler House), Armadale, was built in c.1856 for the pharmacist Daniel Rutter Long and his family, who occupied it for 40 years. Rutter Long was one of Victoria's earliest and most successful pharmacists, and his wife Helen was a notable pioneer in her own right. The house was then transformed inside and out by the eminent society architect, Walter Butler, for his own residence between c.1897 to 1907.

Edenhope, Moonee Ponds, was built in c1910, and is a superb example of a prestigious Federation era bungalow. Set in a large garden atop a rise, it makes a notable contribution to the historic character of its residential precinct as one of the finest amongst the affluent residences built on the elevated land near the Ascot Vale and Moonee Ponds railway stations during the Land Boom and into the twentieth century. Edenhope has been painstakingly restored; much of its original materials and… Italian Marble Flooring, Ascot Vale, Painted Ceilings, Historic Houses, Melbourne Victoria, Old Building, Homesteads, Historical Architecture, Melbourne Australia
Melbourne VictoriaHomesteadsHistorical Architecture

Edenhope, Moonee Ponds, was built in c1910, and is a superb example of a prestigious Federation era bungalow. Set in a large garden atop a rise, it makes a notable contribution to the historic character of its residential precinct as one of the finest amongst the affluent residences built on the elevated land near the Ascot Vale and Moonee Ponds railway stations during the Land Boom and into the twentieth century. Edenhope has been painstakingly restored; much of its original materials and…

Duart, Albert Park, is an imposing two storey red brick house, built in 1900 to a design by Kempson & Conolly. Named after Duart Castle, the ancestral home of the Maclean clan on the Scottish Isle of Mull, Duart was the Melbourne residence of the Hon. Allan MacLean, MLA, a stock and station agent, pastoralist and politician whose reputation, and fortune, were forged in Gippsland. McLean was Victorian Premier 1899-1900 and Deputy Prime Minister in 1905. Id Cover, Albert Park, Australian Architecture, Old Building, Homesteads, House Built, Red Bricks, Prime Minister, Balconies
Albert ParkAustralian ArchitectureHomesteadsPrime Minister

Duart, Albert Park, is an imposing two storey red brick house, built in 1900 to a design by Kempson & Conolly. Named after Duart Castle, the ancestral home of the Maclean clan on the Scottish Isle of Mull, Duart was the Melbourne residence of the Hon. Allan MacLean, MLA, a stock and station agent, pastoralist and politician whose reputation, and fortune, were forged in Gippsland. McLean was Victorian Premier 1899-1900 and Deputy Prime Minister in 1905.

Bolinda, Flemington, was built in 1884 and is of significance for its unusual design incorporating ornate detailing of Victorian Italianate style with a modestly sized facade. It is an unusual double bayed and parapetted stuccoed villa with Corinthian order pilasters at the windows, ornate balustraded parapet, swagged lower entablature, ironwork and gabled porch entrance. Issac McClelland appears to have built what was initially a four-roomed brick house in 1884 with additions to make it six… Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Corinthian Order, Porch Entrance, Australian Houses, Victorian Architecture, Homesteads, New Home Designs, Victorian Homes

Bolinda, Flemington, was built in 1884 and is of significance for its unusual design incorporating ornate detailing of Victorian Italianate style with a modestly sized facade. It is an unusual double bayed and parapetted stuccoed villa with Corinthian order pilasters at the windows, ornate balustraded parapet, swagged lower entablature, ironwork and gabled porch entrance. Issac McClelland appears to have built what was initially a four-roomed brick house in 1884 with additions to make it six…

D'Estaville, Kew, was built in 1859 for Sir William Foster Stawell. Designed in the Classic Revival style by prominent colonial architects, Knight and Kerr (designers of Melbourne's Parliament House), it is their only residential work and one of the few Melbourne mansions built out of bluestone. Originally standing in grounds of 32 acres, the house is a two storey villa featuring an asymmetrical massing of bluestone with restrained classical details. The stone work of the imposing pedimented… Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, University Of Melbourne, Double Hung Windows, Landscaping Work, Houses Of Parliament, Australian Homes, Historic Homes, Homesteading
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaDouble Hung WindowsAustralian Homes

D'Estaville, Kew, was built in 1859 for Sir William Foster Stawell. Designed in the Classic Revival style by prominent colonial architects, Knight and Kerr (designers of Melbourne's Parliament House), it is their only residential work and one of the few Melbourne mansions built out of bluestone. Originally standing in grounds of 32 acres, the house is a two storey villa featuring an asymmetrical massing of bluestone with restrained classical details. The stone work of the imposing pedimented…

Davies House, Kew, (former names: Harelands, Blamey House) was built in 1903 for W.H. Davies. It is a comprehensive example of the hipped form of Federation house executed by leading architectural firm, Ussher and Kemp. The building stands on a prominence and was designed to take advantage of its exposed position. The second storey is enveloped in the sweep of the terracotta tiled hip roof; piercing out from it are large dormer units, tall corbelled brick chimneys and a squat octagonal… Id Cover, Architectural Firm, Hip Roof, Old Building, Homesteads, Squat, Villas, Terracotta, Melbourne
HomesteadsSquatVillasTerracottaMelbourne

Davies House, Kew, (former names: Harelands, Blamey House) was built in 1903 for W.H. Davies. It is a comprehensive example of the hipped form of Federation house executed by leading architectural firm, Ussher and Kemp. The building stands on a prominence and was designed to take advantage of its exposed position. The second storey is enveloped in the sweep of the terracotta tiled hip roof; piercing out from it are large dormer units, tall corbelled brick chimneys and a squat octagonal…

ideas for timber door frame ceilings

Darnlee, Toorak, was constructed in c1899 by builder J. Gibb and designed by architect Leonard J. Flannagan for Mr C. McIntyre. It is one of the best and most intact examples of Melbourne's Federation Queen Anne architecture, particularly noteworthy for its numerous gables and elaborately carved bargeboards, its ornamental terracotta finials, and its corner tower with a steeply pitched conical roof. Of note is the use of timber decorative and structural elements; the front gable is…

Cullymont and Eyrecourt, Canterbury, comprise what may be Victoria's largest semi-detached pair of villas. They were completed in 1890 as country residences for the Rev. Alexander McCully, Irish Protestant clergyman and professor of elocution, and his father, John James McCully, public servant. Constructed in the Italianate style of stuccoed brick, the building consists of two opposing two-storeyed bayed wings with an arcaded verandah extending on two levels between the bayed wings. Australian Houses, Australian Architecture, Arundel Castle, Castle Howard, Father John, Melbourne House, Historic Houses, Homesteads, Victoria Australia
Australian HousesAustralian ArchitectureCastle HowardHomesteadsVictoria Australia

Cullymont and Eyrecourt, Canterbury, comprise what may be Victoria's largest semi-detached pair of villas. They were completed in 1890 as country residences for the Rev. Alexander McCully, Irish Protestant clergyman and professor of elocution, and his father, John James McCully, public servant. Constructed in the Italianate style of stuccoed brick, the building consists of two opposing two-storeyed bayed wings with an arcaded verandah extending on two levels between the bayed wings.

Broughton Hall, Camberwell, was formerly known as Tara. It was constructed in c.1858 for Sir John O'Shanassy, one of the colony's early immigrants and, between 1857-63, three times Premier of the Colony of Victoria. The two-storey building is an unusually early Italianate mansion (a style not popularised until the boom period of the 1870s and 80s), with an open terrace to three sides with refined ornamentation. Internally, the building is opulent and includes an entrance hall decorated with… Anglican Church, Aged Care, Australian Architecture, Historic Houses, Old Building, Homesteads, Victoria Australia, Entrance Hall, Georgian
Aged CareAustralian ArchitectureHomesteadsVictoria AustraliaEntrance Hall

Broughton Hall, Camberwell, was formerly known as Tara. It was constructed in c.1858 for Sir John O'Shanassy, one of the colony's early immigrants and, between 1857-63, three times Premier of the Colony of Victoria. The two-storey building is an unusually early Italianate mansion (a style not popularised until the boom period of the 1870s and 80s), with an open terrace to three sides with refined ornamentation. Internally, the building is opulent and includes an entrance hall decorated with…

Lighting Design Concept Window New Ideas Dining Light Fixtures, Farmhouse Light Fixtures, Outdoor Light Fixtures, Farmhouse Lighting, Vaulted Ceiling Lighting, Dining Lighting, Modern Entrance, Entrance Design, Installation Architecture
Farmhouse Light FixturesVaulted Ceiling LightingDining Lighting

Colinton, Canterbury, was built in 1926 to the design of the architectural firm, Barlow and Hawkins, as the family home of flour miller, Walter Gillespie. The Federation Arts and Crafts (or inter-war Tudor) style house is set well back on its large corner block to allow a picturesque view of the house across the garden, accentuated by the sweeping driveway and the oblique siting of the house. Its steep shingled roof, tall clumped chimneys, small paned windows, and half-timbered surface…

Colbinabbin, Middle Park, is an Edwardian Queen Anne style residence constructed in 1909 by local engineer John Raven Fisher. The building remains intact, complete with its red brick and cast iron palisade fence, stained glass windows and the multi facete Edwardian House, Victorian Era, Palisade Fence, 7 Continents, Melbourne House, Slate Roof, Homesteads, Red Bricks, Stained Glass Windows
Victorian Era7 ContinentsHomesteads

Colbinabbin, Middle Park, is an Edwardian Queen Anne style residence constructed in 1909 by local engineer John Raven Fisher. The building remains intact, complete with its red brick and cast iron palisade fence, stained glass windows and the multi faceted hipped slate roof and chimneys. John Raven Fisher arrived from England in 1879. His occupation is listed variously as joiner, carpenter, builder, engineer, public works contractor and councillor of South Melbourne. Amongst other works, he…

Armadale House, Armadale, was built in 1876 for James Munro, an outstanding figure in the social, political and economic life of 19th century Victoria. One of the best known of the Land-boom generation of developers and politicians, Munro (who began his career as a grocer) became premier of Victoria prior to the collapse of his personal fortunes and bankruptcy in 1893. His house, which originally stood in the midst of a large estate and extensive landscaped gardens, is a two-storey stuccoed… Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Dream Homes, My Dream Home, Id Cover, Australian Houses, Rest, King David, Historic Houses
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaDream HomesAustralian HousesRest

Armadale House, Armadale, was built in 1876 for James Munro, an outstanding figure in the social, political and economic life of 19th century Victoria. One of the best known of the Land-boom generation of developers and politicians, Munro (who began his career as a grocer) became premier of Victoria prior to the collapse of his personal fortunes and bankruptcy in 1893. His house, which originally stood in the midst of a large estate and extensive landscaped gardens, is a two-storey stuccoed…

Cloyne, Toorak, was designed by Harold Desbrowe-Annear, and built in 1926 for Louis Nelken, reputedly a former Royal family butler who married into the Baillieu family. He was a director of Australian Knitting Mills. The 'jewel-like' Cloyne, with its prominent port corchere and repeated Venetian window motif, is one of the few substantially intact homes designed in the 1920s by Desbrowe Annear. In the 1960s it was owned by the flamboyant playboy Don Busch, who commissioned an extensive…

Cloyne, Toorak, was designed by Harold Desbrowe-Annear, and built in 1926 for Louis Nelken, reputedly a former Royal family butler who married into the Baillieu family. He was a director of Australian Knitting Mills. The 'jewel-like' Cloyne, with its prominent port corchere and repeated Venetian window motif, is one of the few substantially intact homes designed in the 1920s by Desbrowe Annear. In the 1960s it was owned by the flamboyant playboy Don Busch, who commissioned an extensive…

Carramah, Camberwell, was built in c1909 for Herbert Parsons, a spice trader. Set on a large allotment amidst landscaped gardens, this two-storey gabled house is one of the iconic Federation style buildings designed by the renowned architectural partnership of Beverley Ussher and Henry Kemp. Picturesquely combining elements of the Arts and Crafts movement with Queen Anne style, Carramah showcases classic Ussher & Kemp, whilst providing unparalleled family living and entertaining areas both… Old Building, Building Design, Id Cover, Mountain Villa, Homesteads, Arts And Crafts Movement, Queen Anne, Villas, Colonial
Building DesignMountain VillaHomesteadsQueen AnneVillas

Carramah, Camberwell, was built in c1909 for Herbert Parsons, a spice trader. Set on a large allotment amidst landscaped gardens, this two-storey gabled house is one of the iconic Federation style buildings designed by the renowned architectural partnership of Beverley Ussher and Henry Kemp. Picturesquely combining elements of the Arts and Crafts movement with Queen Anne style, Carramah showcases classic Ussher & Kemp, whilst providing unparalleled family living and entertaining areas both…

Bona Vista, South Yarra, was originally named Buena Vista. The land, with a wide, uninterrupted view over the Como river flats and the Yarra River, was purchased in 1844 by Edmond Charles Hobson. It was his widow Margaret who built the house in 1884 (the architect is unknown); she lived there until her death in 1894 after which it was owned by her son, Charles P Hobson, and subsequently William Knox and Sir Richard Linton (until 1951). Owned by Telecom (now Telstra) for a time, it was then… Id Cover, Australian Architecture, Old Building, Victorian Houses, Homesteads, Queen Anne, Palaces, Dream Homes, Villas

Bona Vista, South Yarra, was originally named Buena Vista. The land, with a wide, uninterrupted view over the Como river flats and the Yarra River, was purchased in 1844 by Edmond Charles Hobson. It was his widow Margaret who built the house in 1884 (the architect is unknown); she lived there until her death in 1894 after which it was owned by her son, Charles P Hobson, and subsequently William Knox and Sir Richard Linton (until 1951). Owned by Telecom (now Telstra) for a time, it was then…

Northern Victoria

Barwidgee Homestead, Mudgegonga, was built in 1853, and is the oldest homestead in the district. It is situated near Myrtleford in the beautiful Alpine region of eastern Victoria. The first squatter in the area was William Forlonge who took up the Barwidgee pastoral run of 28,000 acres in 1848. William Forlonge (1811-1890), pastoralist and politician, was born in Scotland, the son of John Forlonge, a Glasgow merchant. His mother was the redoubtable Eliza Forlonge, a pioneer who played a… Country Home Exteriors, Country Homes, Country Life, Country Style, Australian Architecture, Historic Houses, Family Trees, My Dream Home, Villas
Australian ArchitectureVillas

Barwidgee Homestead, Mudgegonga, was built in 1853, and is the oldest homestead in the district. It is situated near Myrtleford in the beautiful Alpine region of eastern Victoria. The first squatter in the area was William Forlonge who took up the Barwidgee pastoral run of 28,000 acres in 1848. William Forlonge (1811-1890), pastoralist and politician, was born in Scotland, the son of John Forlonge, a Glasgow merchant. His mother was the redoubtable Eliza Forlonge, a pioneer who played a…

Ryan Shed Plans Shed Plans and Designs For Easy Shed Building! Australian Architecture, Architecture Old, Country Home Exteriors, Australia House, Solid Brick, Brick Paving, Country Estate, Old Farm, Old Buildings

East Loddon Homestead, Serpentine, is an 1870s asymmetrical weatherboard building surrounded by a wide verandah and set in a peaceful location overlooking Serpentine Creek. The property was founded by the Ettershank family in the 1860s and became famous for its Merino sheep. The homestead complex includes several buildings of interest, particularly the solid brick 28-stand shearing shed. Designed by the famous Vahland architectural team, it is reputedly the first purpose-built shed in…

Duck Swamp Station, Durham Ox, consists of a simple hip-roofed brick homestead of 1843 and its gothic successor of 1848, with steep-pitched gabled roofs and fretted barge boards on the gable ends. The nearby township of Durham Ox got its name from the famous cattle (progenitors of today's Shorthorns) bred on Duck Swamp Station by pioneer settlers, Edward Argyle and Abraham Booth. The Durham cattle, bearing the O.X. brand, became sought after far and wide. Argyle and Booth were Melbourne… Id Cover, The Gables, Homesteads, Durham, Ox, Cattle, Villas, Melbourne, Brick

Duck Swamp Station, Durham Ox, consists of a simple hip-roofed brick homestead of 1843 and its gothic successor of 1848, with steep-pitched gabled roofs and fretted barge boards on the gable ends. The nearby township of Durham Ox got its name from the famous cattle (progenitors of today's Shorthorns) bred on Duck Swamp Station by pioneer settlers, Edward Argyle and Abraham Booth. The Durham cattle, bearing the O.X. brand, became sought after far and wide. Argyle and Booth were Melbourne…

Bishop's Lodge, Wangaratta, was built in 1904 as the residence of the first Bishop of Wangaratta, Thomas Armstrong. It is a double-storey brick residence in Federation Queen Anne style, its red bricks contrasting strongly with lighter decorative work. Major features include half-timbered projecting gables, tall chimneys, a spire with louvred vents, several small finials and considerable filigree work to the double storey verandah. The residence is set in spacious grounds which encompass a…

Bishop's Lodge, Wangaratta, was built in 1904 as the residence of the first Bishop of Wangaratta, Thomas Armstrong. It is a double-storey brick residence in Federation Queen Anne style, its red bricks contrasting strongly with lighter decorative work. Major features include half-timbered projecting gables, tall chimneys, a spire with louvred vents, several small finials and considerable filigree work to the double storey verandah. The residence is set in spacious grounds which encompass a…

Coonanga Homestead, Strathmerton, stands on what was once the Strathmerton run, first taken up in 1840. The property changed hands many times until 1873 when a portion of the run, given the name Strathmerton West, passed into control of a partnership which included the Western District pastoralist George Currie, an enthusiastic breeder of fine wool merinos. In May 1874, Currie completed construction of a sawn timber slab house with detached kitchen and school room wings at the rear. He…

Coonanga Homestead, Strathmerton, stands on what was once the Strathmerton run, first taken up in 1840. The property changed hands many times until 1873 when a portion of the run, given the name Strathmerton West, passed into control of a partnership which included the Western District pastoralist George Currie, an enthusiastic breeder of fine wool merinos. In May 1874, Currie completed construction of a sawn timber slab house with detached kitchen and school room wings at the rear. He…

Cobram Estate, Cobram. In 1845 Octavius Phillpotts (son of the Bishop of Exeter) established Cobram as a vast cattle station of 128,640 acres. In 1880 the property was purchased by Hugh Dick who demolished the original Colonial homestead and, in 1906, began the construction of a grand new home. 250,000 bricks were used, all kilned on the property; verandahs were built on all sides with views to the Murray River. "Built of handmade bricks in 1906/07 by Andrew McKay to a design by Tobias… Id Cover, Murray River, Cornices, Australia Photos, Homesteads, Exeter, Light Fittings, Villas, Outdoor Spaces

Cobram Estate, Cobram. In 1845 Octavius Phillpotts (son of the Bishop of Exeter) established Cobram as a vast cattle station of 128,640 acres. In 1880 the property was purchased by Hugh Dick who demolished the original Colonial homestead and, in 1906, began the construction of a grand new home. 250,000 bricks were used, all kilned on the property; verandahs were built on all sides with views to the Murray River. "Built of handmade bricks in 1906/07 by Andrew McKay to a design by Tobias…

Western District

Eurambeen East Homestead, Beaufort, dates back to 1862, when brothers George and Francis Beggs settled in the area. They were Irish potato farmers, driven out of Ireland by the potato blight; they came to Australia and settled in the Western District as sheep farmers in 1850. Francis lived at neighbouring Eurambeen, while George and his wife, Charlotte, had the eleven-roomed bluestone house at Eurambeen East built using Oregon timber and stone that was quarried locally and hand chiselled by… Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Irish Potatoes, Victoria Australia, Old Farm, Old Buildings, Shed Plans, Woodworking Projects Plans, Old Houses

Eurambeen East Homestead, Beaufort, dates back to 1862, when brothers George and Francis Beggs settled in the area. They were Irish potato farmers, driven out of Ireland by the potato blight; they came to Australia and settled in the Western District as sheep farmers in 1850. Francis lived at neighbouring Eurambeen, while George and his wife, Charlotte, had the eleven-roomed bluestone house at Eurambeen East built using Oregon timber and stone that was quarried locally and hand chiselled by…

Eurambeen Homestead, Beaufort, is one of the region's most historic buildings. Originally named 'Mt. Cole Station', the property was taken up by the Campbell brothers who built a wooden homestead on the site in 1840 and a bluestone woolshed in 1845. The present homestead's origins date from 1862, when Irish potato farmers George and Francis Beggs built it with locally quarried stone. They had arrived from Ireland in 1849; in 1859 they became partners at Eurambeen and built up a fine Merino… Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Id Cover, Irish Potatoes, Homestead Gardens, Australian Architecture, Historic Houses, Best Day Ever, Villas
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaIrish PotatoesAustralian ArchitectureVillas

Eurambeen Homestead, Beaufort, is one of the region's most historic buildings. Originally named 'Mt. Cole Station', the property was taken up by the Campbell brothers who built a wooden homestead on the site in 1840 and a bluestone woolshed in 1845. The present homestead's origins date from 1862, when Irish potato farmers George and Francis Beggs built it with locally quarried stone. They had arrived from Ireland in 1849; in 1859 they became partners at Eurambeen and built up a fine Merino…

Eildon, Hamilton, was built as a residence and surgery for Dr David Laidlaw in - Landhaus Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Facade House, House Facades, Country Farm, Country Houses, Hamilton

Eildon, Hamilton, was built as a residence and surgery for Dr David Laidlaw in 1904 to a design by notable architects Ussher and Kemp in the Federation Queen Anne style. It is an asymmetrical two storey house in red brick with a diverse array of gables kept to the first floor eaves line - a gable composition rare in the work of Ussher and Kemp as their asymmetrical houses are usually treated with a dominant hip from which subsidiary gables protrude. The house is particularly noteworthy for…

Englefield Homestead, Balmoral, is located on a rise overlooking a creek which runs into the Glenelg River. The complex began in the early with a small brick cottage facing the creek, later converted into a kitchen, which survives. This appears to h Id Cover, Brick Cottage, Homesteads, Story House, Farm House, Villas, Melbourne, Survival, Victoria
Brick CottageHomesteadsVillasMelbourneVictoria

Englefield Homestead, Balmoral, is located on a rise overlooking a creek which runs into the Glenelg River. The complex began in the early 1840s with a small brick cottage facing the creek, later converted into a kitchen, which survives. This appears to have been built during the occupation of Edward Bell, an important Melbourne merchant. A more substantial wing was added in the later 1840s, which also survives. Single-storied, symmetrical and built of rendered brick, it is a typical early…

Eeyeuk, Terang, is a pastoral run established by Dr MacFarlane and sold in 1867 to Colac district pioneer Alexander Dennis of Tarndwarncoort. Sons Alexander and Richard Dennis leased the run and, in Alexander (Jnr) engaged self-trained Colac archite Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Old Mansions, Slate Roof, Home On The Range, Queenslander, Concrete Tiles, Alexander Hamilton, Victorian Architecture

Eeyeuk, Terang, is a pastoral run established by Dr MacFarlane and sold in 1867 to Colac district pioneer Alexander Dennis of Tarndwarncoort. Sons Alexander and Richard Dennis leased the run and, in 1874, Alexander (Jnr) engaged self-trained Colac architect Alexander Hamilton, in his first major commission, to design a substantial two-storey homestead with slate roof and single-storey verandah. Martin and Heard, Geelong contractors, erected the conservative Italianate house from locally…

Drumlayne Homestead, Yulecart, is a single-storey, asymmetrical bluestone house; a much-reduced version of the Italianate style fashionable in the late 1800s. It appears to have been built soon after the land was purchased in 1872 by William Watson, of whom little is known. For most of the early twentieth century the property was run as a dairy farm by the Kirkwood family and, through their daughter Dorothy, the Pitman family from 1953. A small woolshed also allowed for sheep and wool…

Drumlayne Homestead, Yulecart, is a single-storey, asymmetrical bluestone house; a much-reduced version of the Italianate style fashionable in the late 1800s. It appears to have been built soon after the land was purchased in 1872 by William Watson, of whom little is known. For most of the early twentieth century the property was run as a dairy farm by the Kirkwood family and, through their daughter Dorothy, the Pitman family from 1953. A small woolshed also allowed for sheep and wool…

Devon Park, Dunkeld, was originally known as the pastoral run, Linlithgow Plains. The Victorian Italianate homestead was built in two stages; firstly as a single-storey bluestone residence, probably dating from the secondly as substantial two-store Australian Houses, Australian Architecture, Urban Architecture, Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Paper Mill, Home On The Range, Country Farm, Historic Homes

Devon Park, Dunkeld, was originally known as the pastoral run, Linlithgow Plains. The Victorian Italianate homestead was built in two stages; firstly as a single-storey bluestone residence, probably dating from the 1850s, secondly as substantial two-storey additions of rock-faced square coursed basalt, built in 1882/83. The additions, of unknown design origins, are unusual for the Western District in having no verandah, and are clearly derived from late Victorian urban architecture in…

Decameron, Elmhurst, was one of the earliest homesteads built in the Ararat district and was first owned by James Alan Cameron. In 1853 he sold the property to Charles Williamson, who had migrated from Scotland in 1839 with his wife and six children. He formed a partnership with A. McLaurin, and together they acquired Decameron Station, on the Wimmera River, and its neighboring property, Navarre. The total acreage of both properties was 102,400 acres. The run was stocked with sheep and… Id Cover, Homesteads, Mountain Range, Cattle, Family History, Villas, Assessment, Acre, Sheep

Decameron, Elmhurst, was one of the earliest homesteads built in the Ararat district and was first owned by James Alan Cameron. In 1853 he sold the property to Charles Williamson, who had migrated from Scotland in 1839 with his wife and six children. He formed a partnership with A. McLaurin, and together they acquired Decameron Station, on the Wimmera River, and its neighboring property, Navarre. The total acreage of both properties was 102,400 acres. The run was stocked with sheep and…

Croxton Homestead, Tarrington, was built in c1857 by squatter, Donald Kennedy, MLC. It was sold in 1858 to John Alexander Macpherson, MLC, and in 1862 to Thomas McKellar, also an MLC. No architect has been associated with the house, but it is typical of the picturesque cottages presented in pattern books of the time. It is a single-storey asymmetrical house built of bluestone with a gabled, slate-covered roof. It has a small bay window, a verandah roofed in corrugated iron, and a single… Australian Houses, Australian Architecture, Id Cover, Historic Houses, House Built, Bay Window, Pattern Books, Fixer Upper, Villas

Croxton Homestead, Tarrington, was built in c1857 by squatter, Donald Kennedy, MLC. It was sold in 1858 to John Alexander Macpherson, MLC, and in 1862 to Thomas McKellar, also an MLC. No architect has been associated with the house, but it is typical of the picturesque cottages presented in pattern books of the time. It is a single-storey asymmetrical house built of bluestone with a gabled, slate-covered roof. It has a small bay window, a verandah roofed in corrugated iron, and a single…

Coragulac House, Colac, was built in 1873 by the pioneering Robertson family, who owned acres in the region and constructed several homesteads on their run during Victoria's pastoral boom in the mid to late century. Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Country Farm, Country Houses, Robertson Family, Australian Homes, Historic Homes, My Dream Home, Homesteading
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaCountry FarmCountry HousesAustralian Homes

Coragulac House, Colac, was built in 1873 by the pioneering Robertson family, who owned 23,000 acres in the region and constructed several homesteads on their run during Victoria's pastoral boom in the mid to late 19th century. Designed by influential architects, Davidson & Cameron, the 26 room residence forms a horseshoe round a central courtyard. The two distinctive conical towers were added in c1900 by a later owner. Internally, Corugulac is impressive, with high quality Art Nouveau…

Balnagowan, Colac, was built on the shores of Lake Colac in 1892 for grazier Alexander Fraser Ross, who named it after a Scottish castle of the Ross Clan. An impressive homestead with Queen Anne and Elizabethan elements, it served as a gentleman’s country Australian Houses, Australian Architecture, Abandoned Mansions, Abandoned Places, Leadlight Windows, Grand House, Walnut Doors, Front Yard Design, Entrance Foyer

Balnagowan, Colac, was built on the shores of Lake Colac in 1892 for grazier Alexander Fraser Ross, who named it after a Scottish castle of the Ross Clan. An impressive homestead with Queen Anne and Elizabethan elements, it served as a gentleman’s country residence. Mr Ross brought guests by train from Melbourne to his grand house for holidays and parties, particularly in the warmer weather. After a few ownership changes, Balnagowan became a private hospital from 1952-64 and then a reception…

Blythevale Homestead, Streatham, was built for John Ritchie in the It is a rambling, charming building, wi… Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Architecture Design, Country Estate, Country Farm, Country Houses, Home Structure, Melbourne House, Bay Windows

Blythevale Homestead, Streatham, was built for John Ritchie in the 1860s. It is a rambling, charming building, with some possibly older parts (1840s) and some alterations. Mostly stuccoed with areas of rusticated stone, it has a double-storied portion with a balustraded parapet and a balconied portico, various bay windows, projecting wings and a cast-iron verandah. Photos taken in 1967/76 by J.T. Collins

Buln Gherin Homestead, Beaufort, was built in 1920 for Robert G. Beggs, a… Id Cover, Robert G, Reinforced Concrete, Homesteads, House Built, Villas, Bungalow, Sheep, Places To Visit
Reinforced ConcreteHomesteadsVillasBungalow

Buln Gherin Homestead, Beaufort, was built in 1920 for Robert G. Beggs, a leading sheep breeder in Victoria. The architect was Arthur W. Plaistead, who also designed many other pastoralists' homes and large suburban residences. The house, built in Californian Bungalow style, was constructed of reinforced concrete with a red tiled roof. It contained many features which, for their day, were ahead of their time. The homestead is situated in beautiful established gardens with superb views to Mt…

Belmont Homestead, Raglan, is a timber homestead built by James Frazer Watkin in… - Keller

Belmont Homestead, Raglan, is a timber homestead built by James Frazer Watkin in c1861 with extensions of c1886 which are the work of William Fustrom, a Swedish ship's carpenter. He gave the house a distinctive and unusual decorative character, using a rising sun motif repeated in various parts of the building. The extensions, over large bluestone cellars originally used for the estate winery, include a drawing room with intact decorative finishes and furnishing. The house is rare in that it…

Banongill Homestead, Skipton, is situated on Mount Emu Creek, in the area discovered by Major Mitchell. The property was first settled in and a bluestone cottage built (now part of the homestead kitchen). The present large homestead was built by the Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Country Estate, Country Farm, Victorian Rooms, Victorian Houses, Victoria Australia, Melbourne Victoria, Homestead Gardens

Banongill Homestead, Skipton, is situated on Mount Emu Creek, in the area discovered by Major Mitchell. The property was first settled in 1853, and a bluestone cottage built (now part of the homestead kitchen). The present large homestead was built by the Fairburn family in 1905 and has had few owners in the time since, with one family owning it for over 100 years. The property is a working station with 17,000 acres of productive land, while the homestead is surrounded by 14 acres of garden…

Geelong District

Armytage House (formerly The Hermitage) Newtown was upon completion in 1860 one of the finest Colonial Regency style mansions in Victoria Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Australia House, Land Use, Australian Architecture, Retirement Planning, Early Retirement, Colonial
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaAustralia HouseAustralian Architecture

Armytage House (formerly The Hermitage), Newtown, is one of the finest Colonial Regency style mansions in Victoria. The ionic portico and the encircling wrought iron verandah are its most distinctive features. In 1851 former Van Dieman's Land farmer and early Victorian pioneer, George Armytage, acquired the property and commissioned architect Edward Prowse to design the two storey mansion; construction was undertaken in 1859-60. It is now the City of Newtown Council Offices.

Ariston, Newtown, was built in 1891 for mining company entrepreneur and investor, James Randell, to a design by young Melbourne architect, Phillip A Kennedy. The two-storey brick villa is dominated by an elaborate cast iron balcony, verandah and iron fence in a style derived from the English late-Victorian Aesthetic Movement. Ariston is now used as the 'City Learning & Care Children's Centre'.

Ariston, Newtown, was built in 1891 for mining company entrepreneur and investor, James Randell, to a design by young Melbourne architect, Phillip A Kennedy. The two-storey brick villa is dominated by an elaborate cast iron balcony, verandah and iron fence in a style derived from the English late-Victorian Aesthetic Movement. Ariston is now used as the 'City Learning & Care Children's Centre'.

Avalon Homestead, Lara, overlooks Corio Bay. It was built in 1880 by James Austin as a family home to replace an earlier building destroyed by fire. It is an important work of architect Alexander Davidson who designed many Western District homes. James and Thomas Austin had arrived in Victoria in 1835; James took up the Avalon property while Thomas settled at Barwon Park, Winchelsea, and the properties were run in partnership for a time. The Austins named this homestead "Avalon" in memory of… Old Abandoned Houses, Abandoned Places, Old Houses, Australian Houses, Australian Architecture, Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Country Estate, Country Farm

Avalon Homestead, Lara, overlooks Corio Bay. It was built in 1880 by James Austin as a family home to replace an earlier building destroyed by fire. It is an important work of architect Alexander Davidson who designed many Western District homes. James and Thomas Austin had arrived in Victoria in 1835; James took up the Avalon property while Thomas settled at Barwon Park, Winchelsea, and the properties were run in partnership for a time. The Austins named this homestead "Avalon" in memory of…

Coriyule Homestead, Drysdale, is one of the earliest and finest homesteads in Victoria. It was built in 1849 for pioneer squatting partners, Anne Drysdale and Caroline Newcomb. Drysdale, an unmarried Scottish gentlewoman migrated, aged 47, to Port Phillip in 1839. After taking up a squatting run at Boronggoop near Geelong, she formed a partnership with Caroline Newcomb, governess to the children of John Batman, one of the founders of Melbourne. They bought the nearby Coriyule run in 1843… Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Loft Dormer, Australian Houses, Historic Houses, Gothic House, Entry Hall, Country Estate, Wine Label

Coriyule Homestead, Drysdale, is one of the earliest and finest homesteads in Victoria. It was built in 1849 for pioneer squatting partners, Anne Drysdale and Caroline Newcomb. Drysdale, an unmarried Scottish gentlewoman migrated, aged 47, to Port Phillip in 1839. After taking up a squatting run at Boronggoop near Geelong, she formed a partnership with Caroline Newcomb, governess to the children of John Batman, one of the founders of Melbourne. They bought the nearby Coriyule run in 1843…

Barwon Bank, Marnockvale, was built in 1853-56 by noted Geelong solicitor John Alexander Gregory. The 18 room bluestone mansion sits amidst extensive gardens on the high northern bank overlooking the Barwon River. Architect Thomas R. Yabsley designed the single-storey attic house, constructed of basalt with contrasting Barrabool freestone dressings and dominated by a Doric portico and battlemented bay windows. It is in Colonial Regency style (comparatively rare in Victoria), and is one of… Australian Houses, Australian Architecture, Country Estate, Country Farm, Attic House, Bay Windows, Historic Houses, Victoria Australia, Faith

Barwon Bank, Marnockvale, was built in 1853-56 by noted Geelong solicitor John Alexander Gregory. The 18 room bluestone mansion sits amidst extensive gardens on the high northern bank overlooking the Barwon River. Architect Thomas R. Yabsley designed the single-storey attic house, constructed of basalt with contrasting Barrabool freestone dressings and dominated by a Doric portico and battlemented bay windows. It is in Colonial Regency style (comparatively rare in Victoria), and is one of…

Mallee

Bael Bael Homestead is located on a lunette which extends into the centre of Lak… – shedstudio Building A Storage Shed, Built In Storage, Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Studio Apartment Storage, Lake Run, Diy Shed, Shed Plans, Water Tank

Bael Bael Homestead is located on a lunette which extends into the centre of Lake Bael Bael near Kerang. The homestead complex consists of the house, the shearing shed and stables, believed to date from the 1870s, and a storage shed, stockyard, concrete sheep dip and in-ground water tank. Bael Bael was originally part of the 370,000 acre Reedy Lake run, acquired by Charles Hotson Ebden and Theophilus Keene in 1854. They sold Bael Bael as a separate run in 1861. The Bael Bael homestead was…

Mornington Peninsula and Westernport

Delgany, Portsea, is a large limestone building with prominent castellated parapets and towers incorporating an eclectic mix of Gothic and Medieval elements. Reached by a serpentine drive, it is set in an expansive treed landscape with panoramic views over the surrounding countryside and coastal area. It was built in three stages; the original house in 1925 with additions in 1953 and 1968. Delgany was designed by Harold Desbrowe Annear as a large country house for Harold Armytage and his… Deaf School, Id Cover, Rural Retreats, Country Houses, Dormitory, Largest Countries, Homesteads, Villas, Wwii

Delgany, Portsea, is a large limestone building with prominent castellated parapets and towers incorporating an eclectic mix of Gothic and Medieval elements. Reached by a serpentine drive, it is set in an expansive treed landscape with panoramic views over the surrounding countryside and coastal area. It was built in three stages; the original house in 1925 with additions in 1953 and 1968. Delgany was designed by Harold Desbrowe Annear as a large country house for Harold Armytage and his…

Dalkeith, Mount Martha, is a notable Old English or Tudor Revival house, picturesquely set amidst open pastureland. It has half-timbered wall finishes, stone chimneys and fine interiors and the multi-gabled attic form is composed to provide attractive massing from different viewpoints. It was built in stages, possibly in c1886 and c1911 but then totally transformed, if not rebuilt, by William Vale in the late 1930s. At that time the house stood in 750 acres and Vale also owned the adjoining… Id Cover, Stone Chimney, Melbourne Cup, Wall Finishes, Old Building, Homesteads, Old English, Hedges, Tudor
Stone ChimneyWall FinishesHomesteadsOld EnglishTudor

Dalkeith, Mount Martha, is a notable Old English or Tudor Revival house, picturesquely set amidst open pastureland. It has half-timbered wall finishes, stone chimneys and fine interiors and the multi-gabled attic form is composed to provide attractive massing from different viewpoints. It was built in stages, possibly in c1886 and c1911 but then totally transformed, if not rebuilt, by William Vale in the late 1930s. At that time the house stood in 750 acres and Vale also owned the adjoining…

Combe Martin, Mornington, is set amidst half an acre of established gardens overlooking Mills Beach. It was built in as a holiday house for Mrs. Emily Ruwolt whose husband Charles had established one of the largest iron and steel manufacturing fir Brown Garage Door, Garage Door Colors, Front Door Colors, Craftsman Front Doors, Grey Siding, Iron Front Door, Garage Door Makeover, Black Shutters, Glass French Doors

Combe Martin, Mornington, is set amidst half an acre of established gardens overlooking Mills Beach. It was built in 1936-39 as a holiday house for Mrs. Emily Ruwolt whose husband Charles had established one of the largest iron and steel manufacturing firms in Australia. The stained glass window in the stairwell depicts Charles Ruwolt as a young man working within his business's foundry, while the property is named after Mrs Ruwolt's birthplace in Devon. Combe Martin was designed in the…

Wimmera

Longerenong Homestead, Longerenong (303km NW of Melbourne), is one of Victoria's finest Picturesque Gothic villas. Sir Samuel Wilson built it in 1862; architects Crouch & Wilson gave it a facade from an American pattern book, with altered interiors. Marble was brought from Italy for floors and fireplaces; stained glass from Belgium. Wilson, 6th son of an Irish farmer, was a pastoralist, politician and philanthropist; he was elected to the British House of Commons in 1886. Country Estate, Country Farm, Country Homes, Australia House, Melbourne Australia, Victoria Australia, Melbourne Victoria, Victorian Rooms, Homestead House

Longerenong Homestead, Longerenong (303km NW of Melbourne), is one of Victoria's finest Picturesque Gothic villas. Sir Samuel Wilson built it in 1862; architects Crouch & Wilson gave it a facade from an American pattern book, with altered interiors. Marble was brought from Italy for floors and fireplaces; stained glass from Belgium. Wilson, 6th son of an Irish farmer, was a pastoralist, politician and philanthropist; he was elected to the British House of Commons in 1886.

The side Elevation of "Ardoch" a Victorian Italianate Mansion - Essendon Id Cover, Melbourne Suburbs, Queenslander, Victorian Architecture, Australian Homes, Historic Homes, Old World, Homesteading, Mansions
Victorian ArchitectureAustralian HomesOld WorldMansions

The side Elevation of "Ardoch" a Victorian Italianate Mansion - Essendon

"Ardoch" is grand Victorian Italianate mansion located in the inner northern Melbourne suburb of Essendon. "Ardoch" is a splendid exmple of the fine domestic architecture available to those who were either wealthy by birth, or had made their money during the boom period of Victoria's Gold Rush, when Melbourne was the weathiest city in the world. Constructed of stuccoed brick, "Ardoch" is built in the popular Victorian Italianate style that was in vogue in the 1880s and 1890s. The six chimney…

Balmerino, Hawthorn East, was designed and built in the 1880s by renowned architect John Beswicke. Built on prestigious Harcourt Rd, it is a splendid Victorian Italianate house with a bayed front, a colonnaded balcony and a tower that offers grand city views. It is one of several Beswicke designed mansions on the road - the prime hill top location, the large blocks, and the genteel reputation Hawthorn had acquired, made it a highly desirable suburb for the wealthy. Australian Houses, High Ground, Nice Houses, Melbourne House, Historic Houses, Mansions Homes, Old Building, Homesteads, Villas

Balmerino, Hawthorn East, was designed and built in the 1880s by renowned architect John Beswicke. Built on prestigious Harcourt Rd, it is a splendid Victorian Italianate house with a bayed front, a colonnaded balcony and a tower that offers grand city views. It is one of several Beswicke designed mansions on the road - the prime hill top location, the large blocks, and the genteel reputation Hawthorn had acquired, made it a highly desirable suburb for the wealthy.

Astolat, Camberwell, was built in c.1884-86 for the Derham family, its name derived from Tennyson's 'Idylls of the King'. A typical large Italianate, late 19thC house, greatly enhanced by its exotic and ornamental landscape setting, the gardens feature mature trees, rare original outbuildings, & tennis court with 1880s pavilion. Astolat remains substantially intact - few remaining allotments of this size survive and even fewer with an intact ensemble of residence, outbuildings and garden… Cement Render, Id Cover, Monterey Cypress, Allotments, Slate Roof, Garden Features, Old Building, Homesteads, Pavilion

Astolat, Camberwell, was built in c.1884-86 for the Derham family, its name derived from Tennyson's 'Idylls of the King'. A typical large Italianate, late 19thC house, greatly enhanced by its exotic and ornamental landscape setting, the gardens feature mature trees, rare original outbuildings, & tennis court with 1880s pavilion. Astolat remains substantially intact - few remaining allotments of this size survive and even fewer with an intact ensemble of residence, outbuildings and garden…

Famous as the site of a notorious, unsolved mystery, Tullaree, in Tarwin Lower, was built in the 1890s by Charles Widdis on a rise above swampland on the bank of the Tarwin River. The bricks were made on-site by Chinese workers brought in by Widdis. He drained the land, turning the 980 hectares into rich pasture. The property was sold in 1907 to the wealthy sisters, Margaret and Jeanie Clement, who prospered there until WW1, after which began their terrible decline from riches to rags. Id Cover, Homesteads, Rise Above, Bricks, Villas, Turning, Literature, Mystery, Brother
HomesteadsVillas

Famous as the site of a notorious, unsolved mystery, Tullaree, in Tarwin Lower, was built in the 1890s by Charles Widdis on a rise above swampland on the bank of the Tarwin River. The bricks were made on-site by Chinese workers brought in by Widdis. He drained the land, turning the 980 hectares into rich pasture. The property was sold in 1907 to the wealthy sisters, Margaret and Jeanie Clement, who prospered there until WW1, after which began their terrible decline from riches to rags.

Kilmany Park, near Sale (215km east of Melbourne), Victoria. The property was settled in 1841 by William Pearson, pastoralist, politician and mining entrepreneur, and is one of the oldest in eastern Victoria. His son, William Pearson Junior, between 1901-1906, erected the substantial, solid brick, cement rendered two storey mansion incorporating the original homestead. Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Cement Render, Id Cover, Victorian Rooms, Solid Brick, Historic Homes, Old Houses, Homesteading
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaCement RenderVictorian Rooms

Kilmany Park, near Sale (215km east of Melbourne), Victoria. The property was settled in 1841 by William Pearson, pastoralist, politician and mining entrepreneur, and is one of the oldest in eastern Victoria. His son, William Pearson Junior, between 1901-1906, erected the substantial, solid brick, cement rendered two storey mansion incorporating the original homestead.

Alverno, Hawthorn, is a Boom period mansion constructed in 1889 for the distinguished W. Its substantial block was part of the 1884 Grace Park subdivision. Built in polychrome brick work, it has a grand tower, pillared verandah and balcony arcad Id Cover, Grace Park, Civil Service, Old Building, Homesteads, Panel Doors, Secretary, Villas, Arcade
Grace ParkHomesteadsVillasArcade

Alverno, Hawthorn, is a Boom period mansion constructed in 1889 for the distinguished W.H. Archer, Registrar-General and Secretary for Lands. Built in polychrome brick work, it has a grand tower, pillared verandah and balcony arcades. Its handsome interiors include door panel paintings added in c.1910 by Alice McGinnis.

Avoncourt, Hawthorn, a major work from architects Crouch & Wilson, is representative of the mansions built in the newly subdivided garden suburb of Hawthorn in the 1870s as Melbourne's wealthier residents moved away from the inner-city. A spacious two storey building with wide verandahs, it sat amidst fine large gardens. The photos show the house pre-refurbishment and after its recent conversion into a Castle of Crass. It sold in 2009 for $20,250,000, and for about $21 million in 2014. Architectural Firm, Billiard Room, Man Room, Rooftop Terrace, Homesteads, Home Theater, Victorian Era, Dream Homes, Villas

Avoncourt, Hawthorn, a major work from architects Crouch & Wilson, is representative of the mansions built in the newly subdivided garden suburb of Hawthorn in the 1870s as Melbourne's wealthier residents moved away from the inner-city. A spacious two storey building with wide verandahs, it sat amidst fine large gardens. The photos show the house pre-refurbishment and after its recent conversion into a Castle of Crass. It sold in 2009 for $20,250,000, and for about $21 million in 2014.

Armytage House (formerly The Hermitage) Newtown was upon completion in 1860 one of the finest Colonial Regency style mansions in Victoria Melbourne Victoria, Victoria Australia, Australia House, Land Use, Australian Architecture, Retirement Planning, Early Retirement, Colonial
Melbourne VictoriaVictoria AustraliaAustralia HouseAustralian Architecture

Armytage House (formerly The Hermitage), Newtown, is one of the finest Colonial Regency style mansions in Victoria. The ionic portico and the encircling wrought iron verandah are its most distinctive features. In 1851 former Van Dieman's Land farmer and early Victorian pioneer, George Armytage, acquired the property and commissioned architect Edward Prowse to design the two storey mansion; construction was undertaken in 1859-60. It is now the City of Newtown Council Offices.

Ariston, Newtown, was built in 1891 for mining company entrepreneur and investor, James Randell, to a design by young Melbourne architect, Phillip A Kennedy. The two-storey brick villa is dominated by an elaborate cast iron balcony, verandah and iron fence in a style derived from the English late-Victorian Aesthetic Movement. Ariston is now used as the 'City Learning & Care Children's Centre'.

Ariston, Newtown, was built in 1891 for mining company entrepreneur and investor, James Randell, to a design by young Melbourne architect, Phillip A Kennedy. The two-storey brick villa is dominated by an elaborate cast iron balcony, verandah and iron fence in a style derived from the English late-Victorian Aesthetic Movement. Ariston is now used as the 'City Learning & Care Children's Centre'.

Kilmany Park, near Sale;

Kilmany Park, near Sale; drawing room window.

Longerenong Homestead, Longerenong (303km NW of Melbourne), is one of Victoria's finest Picturesque Gothic villas. Sir Samuel Wilson built it in 1862; architects Crouch & Wilson gave it a facade from an American pattern book, with altered interiors. Marble was brought from Italy for floors and fireplaces; stained glass from Belgium. Wilson, 6th son of an Irish farmer, was a pastoralist, politician and philanthropist; he was elected to the British House of Commons in 1886. Country Estate, Country Farm, Country Homes, Australia House, Melbourne Australia, Victoria Australia, Melbourne Victoria, Victorian Rooms, Homestead House

Longerenong Homestead, Longerenong (303km NW of Melbourne), is one of Victoria's finest Picturesque Gothic villas. Sir Samuel Wilson built it in 1862; architects Crouch & Wilson gave it a facade from an American pattern book, with altered interiors. Marble was brought from Italy for floors and fireplaces; stained glass from Belgium. Wilson, 6th son of an Irish farmer, was a pastoralist, politician and philanthropist; he was elected to the British House of Commons in 1886.

Holey Plains Homestead at Rosedale in Gippsland is one of the region’s finest and oldest Homesteads. The Crooke family have lived in the homestead since 1880 when it was built using handmade bricks made at the property. Id Cover, Homesteads, Bricks, Villas, Colonial, Victoria, Australia, Mansions, House Styles
HomesteadsVillasVictoriaAustraliaMansions

Holey Plains Homestead at Rosedale in Gippsland is one of the region’s finest and oldest Homesteads. The Crooke family have lived in the homestead since 1880 when it was built using bricks handmade at the property.

Mosspennoch is an Italianate mansion designed by Charles Webb and built in 1881 (ballroom added 1890) for James Liddell Purves, QC, MLA, who lived there until 1903. After his departure, it was used as a boarding house, divided into flats, occupied by the Red Cross, adapted as medical suites and then for 20 years remained unoccupied, rundown and vandalised. It has now been restored and converted into six luxury apartments. Id Cover, Mansion Designs, Boarding House, House Divided, Homesteads, Red Cross, Luxury Apartments, 20 Years, Villas
Mansion DesignsHouse DividedHomesteadsRed CrossVillas

Mosspennoch, East Melbourne

Mosspennoch is an Italianate mansion designed by Charles Webb and built in 1881 (ballroom added 1890) for James Liddell Purves, QC, MLA, who lived there until 1903. After his departure, it was used as a boarding house, divided into flats, occupied by the Red Cross, adapted as medical suites and then for 20 years remained unoccupied, rundown and vandalised. It has now been restored and converted into six luxury apartments.

Barunah, Thornbury (also known as Tower House), is an impressive, intact example of a late nineteenth century two-storey mansion constructed in the Italianate style. It retains a rich array of features of the period such as the central tower flanked with Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Tower House, Melbourne Victoria, Grand Homes, Old Building, Gold Rush, Historical Pictures, Historic Homes
Australian ArchitectureAustralian HomesTower HouseMelbourne Victoria

Barunah, Thornbury (also known as Tower House), is an impressive, intact example of a late nineteenth century two-storey mansion constructed in the Italianate style. It retains a rich array of features of the period such as the central tower flanked with a two-level cast iron verandah, the encaustic tiled hall with twin flight staircase, and prolific external and internal details. Barunah is representative of the 1880s building boom in Melbourne that was fuelled by the gold rush.

Eurambeen East Homestead, Beaufort, dates back to 1862, when brothers George and Francis Beggs settled in the area. They were Irish potato farmers, driven out of Ireland by the potato blight; they came to Australia and settled in the Western District as sheep farmers in 1850. Francis lived at neighbouring Eurambeen, while George and his wife, Charlotte, had the eleven-roomed bluestone house at Eurambeen East built using Oregon timber and stone that was quarried locally and hand chiselled by… Australian Architecture, Australian Homes, Irish Potatoes, Victoria Australia, Old Farm, Old Buildings, Shed Plans, Woodworking Projects Plans, Old Houses

Eurambeen East Homestead, Beaufort, dates back to 1862, when brothers George and Francis Beggs settled in the area. They were Irish potato farmers, driven out of Ireland by the potato blight; they came to Australia and settled in the Western District as sheep farmers in 1850. Francis lived at neighbouring Eurambeen, while George and his wife, Charlotte, had the eleven-roomed bluestone house at Eurambeen East built using Oregon timber and stone that was quarried locally and hand chiselled by…