Tram Number 948 was built specifically to carry prisoners to and from court and was known as the Prison Tram (right). Built in Randwick training workshops in 1909,it was used for transferring inmates between Long Bay Penal Institution and Darlinghurst Court House.The specially fitted tramcar with six cells ran between 1909 and 1949.
The corner of Ultimo Road and Thomas Street, Haymarket in circa 1910 and Originally part of the Vegetable Market complex, it is now Aaron's Hotel. Thanks Matt Kay for supplying both photos. By Phil Harvey]