La Verna, Kew (Melbourne), built in 1888; attributed to architect John Beswicke. Then named Heathfield, its first owner was H. Eeles, stationer, who lived there until 1910. From 1931 it was owned by Franciscan friars, who sold it in 2002 for $8.3mill; the grounds were subdivided and the magnificent 3.6a garden of mature trees, including a huge 100yo Moreton Bay Fig, was bulldozed. The property had been one of Kew's most significant private gardens. The house sold again in 2007 for $12mill.