Kildean Homestead, Birregurra SW of Melbourne), is a set on a property of 680 acres that is dotted with magnificent River Red Gums and boasts six kilometres of Barwon River frontage. The land was originally part of pioneering pastoralist Thomas Arm
Colbinabbin Homestead, Campaspe Shire, is an Italianate style single storey solid brick and stucco house designed by Bendigo based architect, Robert Alexander Love, and built for John Winter-Irving in 1867. The Winter-Irving family owned large pastoral interests throughout Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland which were established with the proceeds of gold discovered on their land near Ballarat.
Fairfield Homestead, Browns Plains, is an Italianate mansion built in 1889 for vigneron George Francis Morris to the designs of architects Gordon and Gordon. A ballroom extension was added in c1896. Morris was one of the greatest of Victoria's nineteenth century vignerons; in 1904 his property, Fairfield, was described as the country's largest vineyard and winery complex, with 700 acres of vines, extensive cellars and a staff of over 100. Morris was the third son of a Bristol Draper and…
Cambourne Homestead, Wodonga, was built by 1903 for Rebecca S. Carkeek. It is situated on the original Wodonga run which was established in 1836, and gave the town of Wodonga its name. After subdivision the Cambourne property was developed on one of the allotments; it went through a series of owners until purchased in 1899 by Rebecca Carkeek, wife of William Carkeek, publican of Wodonga and shire councillor. The prolific local architects Gordon and Gordon have been credited with the…
Lauderdale Homestead, Alfredton (Ballarat), was built for John 'Jock' Winter in 1863 to the design of J.A. Doane. Winter arrived with his family from Scotland in 1841; he and his sons became extraordinarily successful pastoralists. 'Jock' became Ballarat's first millionaire after gold was found on one of his properties. He retired to Lauderdale, dying there in 1875. His slate-roofed, bluestone homestead with its distinctive columns and unusual bracketed eaves, is now surrounded by suburbia.
Mooleric Homestead, Birregurra (134km SW of Melbourne), built in 1871, was designed by architects Davidson & Henderson for the pioneering merchant and politician, James Ford Strachan. In 1923 a bluestone double-storey wing was added, with a corner bay window placed to command a view of the garden and distant Otway Ranges. Botanist William Guilfoyle designed the garden in 1903 for the then owner, Mrs Isabella Ramsay. The Ramsay family have owned the property since 1899.
Minjah, Woolsthorpe (263kms W of Melbourne), was established by brothers Jeremiah George and Joseph Ware in 1845; it is one of a number of leading pastoral properties developed by the brothers in the Western District in the mid 1800s. The rendered-bluestone 30-room homestead was built in 1870 for Joseph Ware, to a design by Melbourne architects Smith and Johnson. Ware also commissioned a fine garden; many of the original trees survive.