The line ran from the Spit to the high ground of Balgowlah through heavy cuttings, along the ridge of Sydney Road, descending via Ivanhoe Park to level ground in Raglan Street, a journey of just over three miles. Regular services began on 9 January 1911. The track was single line, with three crossing loops (Parsley Loop, Condamine Loop and Ivanhoe Loop). Trams ran at half-hourly intervals, and it took 25 minutes to cover the distance fom the Spit to Manly.
Manly Water Chute, open 1903 to mid was located at the southern end of South Steyne. The turreted building to the left of the Chute is still to be seen, externally little changed, on the corner of South Steyne and Victoria Parade.
Funny Photos of Beach's Life in Australia in the Past