This stately building was built in 1860 by Scottish immigrant Lachlan McFarlane as the "Öakfield Hotel". It was bought by Robert Barr Smith in 1878 who added thirty rooms to create a French Renaissance style mansion. It was purchased for 7,000 pounds, by Memorial Hospital as a Rest Home in 1922. It is now the Auchendarroch House Tavern, site of a Cinema Complex. The name means 'holy place of the oaks'.