Throw Back Thursday
#throwbackthursday With petrol in short supply and severely rationed during World War II, this enterprising Mackay taxi driver solved the problem by reverting to good old-fashioned horse power. The photograph is taken in front of Wallis & Co. butchery, Wood Street, Mackay (founded in 1907). Pictured is E.T. Bolton of New York, a US Serviceman on leave in Mackay.
#ThrowBackThursday Construction of The Mackay Entertainment Centre (formerly The Mackay Regional Theatre) in 1987. It was built as a joint project between the Pioneer Shire and Mackay City councils for the Bicentenary of Australia, and was opened with a gala concert in February, 1988. To celebrate the MECC's 30th anniversary, the centre is commemorating history with another gala event on February 3.
#ThrowBackThursday This year marks 100 years since the 1918 cyclone that hit Mackay. An image of Sydney Street, with Beirne Mackay Limited hanging its manchester supplies out to dry, and the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney doing likewise with carpets after the great cyclone of January 20-21, 1918 which devastated Mackay.
The Mackay Customs House has been carrying out duties since 1863 and was officially declared complete on April 29, 1902. The design of the building is attributed to John Smith Murdoch, District Architect with the Queensland Public Works Department. The building bears the Queensland State Coat of Arms and encompasses varied roof forms and gable treatments, the use of stucco panels and the classical semi-circular Tholos entrance. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on Feb 7, 2005
#ThrowBackThursday Mackay Harbour 1940 - 1950 from the seaward end of the southern breakwater. Over to the left the breakwater was blasted to provide an entrance into the Mackay Marina. In the centre is the Breast Wharf; Mt. Bassett with quarry from which stone was used to build the Harbour.
#ThrowBackThursday The Civic Theatre on Gordon Street was built in Art Deco style in 1940 by the Taylor family who were the leading proprietors in Mackay for more than six decades. With modern and novel features, such as air conditioning, plate glass doors and padded lounge chairs, made it the best-appointed cinema in North Queensland. Cinema No.1 is the original Cinema of the complex.