Historic Photo of the Day - Collins Street, Melbourne ~ 1888, looking west from Spring Street.Grosvenor Chambers at 9 Collins Street was Australia's first custom built complex of artist's studios, still under construction in the photo below. Love the twin domed towers of the old Masonic Temple on the left as well, demolished to make way for Collins Place.

Collins Street, ~ looking west from Spring Street. Grosvenor Chambers at 9 Collins Street was Australia's first custom built complex of artist's studios, still under construction in the photo

On this day in 1837 ( March 3 ) a new township was surveyed and named as Melbourne, in honour of the British Prime Minister, Lord Melbourne. We are rather proud how it turned out.

City of Melbourne on

On this day in 1837 ( March 3 ) a new township was surveyed and named as Melbourne, in honour of the British Prime Minister, Lord Melbourne. We are rather proud how it turned out.

The ANZ ‘Gothic Bank’, (formerly ES & A Bank), 287 Collins Street (north-east corner of Collins and Queen Streets). Designed by William Wardell, this building has a richly ornate interior, finely worked masonry and meticulous detail. Considered the finest secular Gothic Revival building in Australia. It was built between 1883-87.

my favorite building in Melbourne - ANZ ‘Gothic Bank’, 287 Collins Street - this building has a richly ornate interior, finely worked masonry and meticulous detail - considered the finest secular Gothic Revival building in Australia

The Queen Victoria Market has changed over the years. The sections M, N, O and the row of shops after that in the foreground of the above photograph have been demolished to make way for a car park.

Queen Victoria Market : Buildings and Architecture - Melbourne, Victorian & Australian Architecture Topics

The former Melbourne Magistrates Court was built by Swanson Brothers between…

The former Melbourne Magistrates Court was built by Swanson Brothers between 1911 and On the location of the old Supreme Court building, on the north-west corner of Latrobe and Russell Streets, Melbourne.

Audrey, The Skipping Girl, historic 1937 neon sign, Abbotsford, Melbourne, Victoria. Restored in 2009, it was announced in 2012 that she was to be converted to solar energy. Photo by Ari Hatzis | The Age

Twenty years before television began broadcasting in Australia and decades before iPads had been invented, a bright little girl started to dazzle Melbourne .

This historic image is of the Fish Market Buildings (c.1890) that once spanned Flinders Street, between Spencer and King Streets. The view is from the corner of Spencer and Flinders Street. It was demolished in 1959 for the King Street bridge construction, and the site is currently occupied by the North Bank Palace apartments. Colourised by Alan T. Hall Original Image: State Library of Victoria (Accession No: H11709). #MelbourneHistory #MelbourneCBD #OldPhotos #BeautifulBuildings

This historic image is of the Fish Market Buildings (c.1890) that once spanned Flinders Street, between Spencer and King Streets. The view is from the corner of Spencer and Flinders Street. It was demolished in 1959 for the King Street bridge construction, and the site is currently occupied by the North Bank Palace apartments. Colourised by Alan T. Hall Original Image: State Library of Victoria (Accession No: H11709). #MelbourneHistory #MelbourneCBD #OldPhotos #BeautifulBuildings

Fine dining elegance meets cosy, old-fashioned pub charm at the award-winning Metropolitan Hotel, part of the historic Arts House Meat Market in North Melbourne

Built in 1874 and wonderfully maintained through to the present day, the Metropolitan offers an opportunity to make your special day truly memorable!

Church Door, North Melbourne

Church Door, North Melbourne

Pinterest
Search