Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria c. 1858 (Property of State Library Victoria)

Circa this albumen silver photographic print shows an elevated view…

1954: Corner of Barkly St and Nicholson St, Footscray. Picture: Herald Sun Image Library/

Corner of Barkly St and Nicholson St, Footscray.

A migrant family enters their new home at Maribyrnong, Victoria, 1965. Nissen huts were a common feature of life in a 'silver city'

A migrant family enters their new home at Maribyrnong, Victoria, Nissen huts were a common feature of life in a 'silver city'

Old shops Melbourne. Footscray 1940

Ern Johnson outside the family grocery shop at 87 Charles Street in Footscray (Seddon). Pictured also is shop assistant, Harry Phillips, holding the shop cat. Every shop had a cat for the mice. The building is now a Foodworks

Melbourne 1863

Melbourne 1863

GENERAL POST OFFICE 1861 Crn. Elizabeth Street & Bourke Street - Melbourne

GENERAL POST OFFICE 1861 Crn. Elizabeth Street & Bourke Street - Melbourne

Collins and Spring Streets junction in Melbourne in 1869.

Collins and Spring Streets junction in Melbourne in

This was a scene at the cross roads in Maidstone, Footscray, Melbourne Australia 1960

This was a scene at the cross roads in Maidstone, Footscray, Melbourne Australia 1960

'Flemington Melbourne', Samuel Charles Brees, C.1856. Courtesy State Library of Victoria

'Flemington Melbourne', Samuel Charles Brees, Courtesy State Library of…

AERIAL VIEW OF SUNSHINE STATION 1924 - Public Record Office Victoria

Sunshine Station and surrounds, 1924

Footscray’s origins lies in a small settlement named Saltwater, built on a crossing of the river. New arrivals to the area saw the open grasslands as ideal for grazing animals and in 1836, 40,000 sheep were imported from Tasmania. Within five years this had grown to 100,000 sheep. By the 1850s, a diverse range of industries and agriculture was found along the banks of the river, from meat industries to market gardens.

Footscray’s origins lies in a small settlement named Saltwater, built on a crossing of the river. New arrivals to the area saw the open grasslands as ideal for grazing animals and in 1836, 40,000 sheep were imported from Tasmania. Within five years this had grown to 100,000 sheep. By the 1850s, a diverse range of industries and agriculture was found along the banks of the river, from meat industries to market gardens.

Werribee Park Mansion, circa 1880. Picture: Trove

Werribee Park Mansion, circa 1880. Picture: Trove

Napier Street, Footscray

Napier Street, Footscray

Statue of Teddy Whitten ( Footscray Football Club )

Statue of Teddy Whitten ( Footscray Football Club )

Nelson Place, (Westend looking North), Williamstown, 1905

Nelson Place, (Westend looking North), Williamstown, 1905

Melb_1838_Enlargement

Melbourne from the Falls

Melbourne Grid designed by Robert Hoddle

Pinterest
Search