Melbourne Heritage Photography
Last updated 1 week ago
Little Collins St
Russell Street, Melbourne Heritage Photography
La Trobe Street
Swanston Street Heritage
Flinders Lane, Melbourne Heritage
Spencer Street #Melbourne Heritage Photos
Manchester House cnr Flinders/Manchester Lanes, Melbourne
Manchester House cnr Flinders/Manchester Lanes was constructed in 1912 (Bates Peebles & Smart), for Adelaide's G & R Wills and Co., for their new #Melbourne opertions. It replaced the earlier 6 storey bluestone Watson's Chambers, which was one of the few buildings on the nth side of the lane to succumb to the "Great Fire of Melbourne" in 1897, but the site eveidently stood derelict for 15 years following the "land bust" downturn. Much was made at the time of the fireproof nature of the new
Sisters of the Community of the Holy Name Mission Building, 261-5 Spring St, Melbourne
Former Sisters of the Community of the Holy Name (yes, for real) Mission Building, 261-5 Spring St, #Melbouren Lt Lon to R of image. Built 1913, incorporating an earlier 1901 Church of England Hall (Bates Peebles & Smart). Facaded for office tower late 2010s, seen here 1950s. SLV.
Scenes around Melbourne during Royal Visit of Edward, Prince of Wales, April 1920
Scenes around #Melbourne during Royal Visit of Edward, Prince of Wales, April 1920. Several public buildings were lit up with incandescent bulbs. Clockwise from top left, Old Treasury, Parliament, Myer/Buckley & Nunn, Town Hall/Collins St. Not sure about that one in the middle. At bottom people are standing in front of a locomotive(!?). Central city power was supplied from a Council plant on Spencer St (today West Side Place) until 1924, when the first La Trobe Valley generators were switched on
"Don's Party", 1880s style
"Don's Party", 1880s style. Crowds throng the Argus Newspaper office in Collins St #Melbourne opposite Town Hall to learn the results of the 1883 State Election, which are displayed in the ground floor windows, and illuminated by what appear to be electric arc lamps (the first local demonstration of which had been in Swanston St 2 years earlier).
Melbourne Customs House as viewed from Queen's Wharf c.1890
#Melbourne Customs House (built 1876) as viewed from Queen's Wharf c.1890. Note the wood block pavers used extensively in Melbourne c.1890s-1930s, when they were mostly ripped up, the old tar-impregnated blocks becoming a popular substitute for firewood. In 1954 the Council distributed 500 tons to pensioners for winter fuel. Remnant sections could still be found at the end of the 20th century in some tram reserves.
The former Black Eagle Hotel at 42 Lonsdale St is one of Melbournes oldest surviving builings. Built c.1850 as a pair of two-storey bluestone and brick dwellings, probably used as a hotel from the beginning, though not described as such until 1853. Delicensed under the License Reduction Act 1906, it had many 20th C. alternate uses. Some early features survive in the attic. Some walls are lined with illustrations from 19th C newspapers. Over this was Victorian period wallpaper, partly burnt off.
i-Heritage database search results - City of Melbourne
This two-storey (plus attic) shop and residence on the Nth side of Lonsdale St (William St to R of image) was built in 1855 by Edward Fitzsimmons. In 1856 it was used as the Colonial Survey Office and later as a hotel. It is one of the earliest surviving commercial buildings in #Melbourne and a rare remnant of Gold Rush era architecture. Protected.
Brittania Hotel at the NW cnr of Lonsdale and Swanston Sts, Melbourne
Periscopes allow viewers to "see the Queen in comfort" for the bargain price of 2'6, March 1954, appropriately outside the Brittania Hotel at the NW cnr of Lonsdale and Swanston Sts #Melbourne. A Brittania Hotel has occupied this site since the 1840s, although the original building was replaced by this structure in 1920. This building still occupies the site today and is protected although heavily altered (all the fabulous tiling and lead lighting gone). Mark Strzic, SLV.
Queen St, Melbourne, looking Nth to Collins from Flinders La, late 1950s
Curtain Wall Central on Queen St #Melbourne, looking Nth to Collins from Flinders La, late 1950s. Of the 2, rightmost is Norwich Union Insurance, Yuncken Freeman, 1957. To its L, Canton Insurance, Bates, Smart & McCutcheon, 1957. Both protected today. In fact everything visible is still with us. SLV.