Major-General Edward Chaytor stands with his hand on the door of the ANZAC Mounted Division's Model "T" staff car. He took over the ANZAC Mounted Division from Sir Harry in April 1917. Note the silver fern of New Zealand and the boomerang of Australia emblem on the car door. Leaning on his stick is Brigadier General Cox of the 1st Australian Light Horse Brigade. (Australian War Memorial).
The ANZAC Mounted Division was formed in Egypt in April 1916 by joining the New Zealand Mounted Rifle Brigade and 1, 2 and 3 Australian Light Horse Brigades, under the command of (then) Major General HG Chauvel. Command passed to Major General EWC Chaytor in 1917. The main units involved in the formation of ANZAC Mounted were: the Wellington, Auckland and Canterbury Mounted Rifles and the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th Australian LH Regiments. 1, 2 and 3 Aust Mach Gun Squadr...
Shaun Maloney the NZMRA Parades Officer presents an immaculate display of trooper and horse at the 2006 Armistice Day Parade in Cambridge. The Association is striving to represent the NZMR Brigade that served with distinction during the Middle East conflicts of World War One in two important directions.