Last updated 2 years ago
The Masonic Girls School Ballsbridge Dublin 1792 to 1892
The Masonic Female Orphans School, as it was originally known, now known as Bewley's Hotel, is situated on the corner of Merrion Road and Simmonscourt Road in Dublin’s exclusive area of Ballsbridge. The foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Abercorn on St John’s Day, 25th June, 1880 "in the presence of a fashionable and extremely large assemblage.’’ Two years after this foundation stone was laid, the construction of the new Masonic School was completed.
Cinema building and the Strongest Woman in the World – Irish Architectural Archive
The interior of the original Savoy in O'Connell Street. It was built by Associated Cinemas at a cost of £200,000 and was opened by President W.T. Cosgrave in November 1929. The site was formerly the location of the Crown and Granville hotels, which were both destroyed in the 1916 Rising. With 2900 seats, it was the largest cinema in Ireland, and the expense lavished on its construction was evident.