As times passed and the British lopsided towards imperialism over trade, tents grew into hotels to accommodate this shift. The Choultry Plain was the area where the British had set up a factory or trading depot, surrounded by a small fort in
It was James Stiven who undertook the task of providing Madras with its first of many properties that were specially built for an hotel; not buildings intended for a private residence and later ill-adapted to hotel exigencies.
Lands passed hands as the Carnatic wars raged during the second half of the century. With the death of the last Nawab of Carnatic - Umdat - ul - Umra, the British annexed the territories, one of which was the House on the Choultry Plain.
After the British annexation; John 'Deaf' Binny who started his life working for the Nawabs, acquired the property to the east of Ameer Bagh. And so began the story of Binny's Gardens.
A classic with a history of its own. Before the classic got its name- Connemara, sometime between 1824 and the property leased out from the hands of Binny to the Moodelliar community and was named the Imperial Hotel in
A long lease passed on in the naming of the classic - Connemara. When Triplicane Ruthnavaloo Moodelliar leased the Imperial to P.Cumaraguru Mudelly and P.Chokalinga Mudelly in 1886, the hotel became the Albany. A year after the lease was renewed in 1889, the brothers renamed the hotel to #Connemara. #MadrasToChennai #VinatgeCool
Oakshott bought the property 'which included the Connemara Hotel premises' from Triplicane Ruthnavalloo Moodelliar in Oakshott only being interested in the real estate leased the hotel property to James Stiven, who remodeled it to we know today.
The rebuilding of the Connemara Hotel was decided upon by the Directors in February 1934 and the demolition of the old main building was put in hand early in March, and early in April the foundations of the new Residential Block were commenced. Connemara had made it clear to all that, it will yield to none in convenience, comfort and up-to-date equipment. #Connemara #VintageCool #MadrasToChennai
With the world booming and travelers looking for new destinations, Spencer made a conscious decision to invest in the modernization of Connemara in It was decided that what had been thought of as a 're- modelling' would in fact be a 're- building'.
Jack Bontemps and the Connemara Orchestra were a regular feature of the Hotel in the and the Ball- Room one of the most popular places in town for an evening out. The years from 1937 till the early were the high noon of the Connemara.
In 1974, Geoffrey Bawa was a name in the making. He made Connemara fully air conditioned, ready to greet the more sophisticated travelers of the Post- War world period. The stairway that Bawa redid, embellishing it with huge crowning wooden panel craved in traditional bas relief continues to grace the modern day Connemara. #Connemara #VintageCool #MadrasToChennai
It was an art deco look that the Connemara sported when it reopened in 1937. The Taj Coromandel came up in 1974 when Spencer's felt the property needed more modern management. The Taj group ushered Connemara into a re-inventive league. It was with these efforts that the Connemara became a hotel with "class", a reputation it has carefully nurtured ever since. #VintageCool #Connemara #MadrasToChennai