History

Collection by Wendy Oakes

20 
Pins

Map of the City of Sydney c.1927

Map of the City of Sydney Dated: c.1927 Rights: www.records.nsw.gov.au/about-us/rights-and-permissions We'd love to hear from you if you use our photos/documents.

The Old Burial Ground (now occupied by the Sydney Town Hall) was used between September 1792 and 1820, when it officially closed. Its replacement was the Sandhills Cemetery (Devonshire Street Cemetery), which later became the site of Central Railway Station. By the 1840s there were concerns about overcrowding and over the next twenty years a number of alternative locations were considered. In 1862 the government purchased 200 acres of land 'near Homebush on the Railway Line

Cemeteries / Burials Guide

A brief overview of the major sources in our collection that relate to cemeteries.

An early settler’s home in country , N.S.W. Australia. Growing up in Australia. Read the Source for more info.

A settler’s home, N.S.W.

Source: livinghistories.newcastle.edu.au/nodes/view/36618 This image was scanned from an item in the Williamson Collection of some 450 photographic glass slides and other items, which was acquired by the archives section of the Auchmuty Library. The collection was assembled by Archdeacon A. N. Williamson, who served for many years in the Diocese of Newcastle, as well as travelling extensively in the South Pacific area. The collection vividly portrays town and country life in Australia…

Gold miners outside a bark hut, Queensland. 1870. State Library of Queensland, Australia.

Gold miners outside a bark hut, Queensland, ca. 1870

Creator: Daintree, Richard, 1832-1878 Location: Queensland Description: Two gold miners dressed in working clothes outside a slab bark hut with mining tools nearby. View this image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/68202 Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: pictureqld.slq.qld.gov.au/

Map of Sydney 1810- 1823 Note that Bridge Street was the crossing for the stream - Circular Quay and it's environs are built over the old stream.

Map of Sydney 1810- 1823 Note that Bridge Street was the crossing for the stream - Circular Quay and it's environs are built over the old stream.

Sydney Cove Map - Early 1800s

Sydney Cove Map - Early 1800s

Sydney Cove Map showing Circular Quay and The Rocks. Where the First Fleet had landed and Australia began as a nation, now home to the Opera House, The Rocks and Circular Quay

The line ran from the Spit to the high ground of Balgowlah through heavy cuttings, along the ridge of Sydney Road, descending via Ivanhoe Park to level ground in Raglan Street, a journey of just over three miles. Regular services began on 9 January 1911. The track was single line, with three crossing loops (Parsley Loop, Condamine Loop and Ivanhoe Loop). Trams ran at half-hourly intervals, and it took 25 minutes to cover the distance fom the Spit to Manly.

The line ran from the Spit to the high ground of Balgowlah through heavy cuttings, along the ridge of Sydney Road, descending via Ivanhoe Park to level ground in Raglan Street, a journey of just over three miles. Regular services began on 9 January 1911. The track was single line, with three crossing loops (Parsley Loop, Condamine Loop and Ivanhoe Loop). Trams ran at half-hourly intervals, and it took 25 minutes to cover the distance fom the Spit to Manly.

Four men outside a hut.

Photograph - Walhalla, Victoria, 1905-1920

Four men outside a hut.

The Australian.Museum on College St,Sydney with Hyde Park at the right in 1870.

The Australian.Museum on College St,Sydney with Hyde Park at the right in 1870.